CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Google Shows Maps Of Mars !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1298 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Google Shows Maps Of Mars ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Google Shows Maps Of Mars ! - 3/15/2006 7:01:03 AM   
SiliconFreak

In honor of the birthday of 19th Century astronomer Percival Lowell, Google Inc. on Monday offered views of the planet Mars through a service developed in conjunction with NASA researchers.

Called Google Mars, the service offers three different views of the Red Planet, an elevation map that shows color-coded peaks and valleys, a visible-imagery map that shows what a person would actually see from high above the planet, and an infrared-imagery map to show details a person's eyes would miss.

The service combines technology from Google Maps, the company's road-map service, with detailed scientific maps of Mars. NASA researchers Noel Gorelick and Michael Weiss-Malik joined Google in the project.

The new service was launched on the birthday of Lowell, a member of the distinguished Lowell family in Boston who studied Mars as a full-time career in the latter part of the 19th Century. Lowell's greatest contribution to astronomy, however, was in his search for "Planet X" beyond Neptune. His work led to the discovery of Pluto in 1930.

Google on Monday added a picture of Mars and a telescope to its homepage logo. 

Source : InternetWeek
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Google Shows Maps Of Mars ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI