CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RIAA aims to ban CD ripping !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1051 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! - 2/17/2006 11:26:41 AM   
SiliconFreak

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has reversed its position on CD ripping and now wants the practice outlawed.

In a filing to the US government concerning digital rights management the RIAA and other copyright industry associations said the fact that CD ripping is widespread does not make it legal.

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorisation," the filing stated.

"In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorisation, not about fair use."

This is a complete reversal of the RIAA's previous policy. In last year's Supreme Court MGM v. Grokster case a representative of the RIAA described ripping a CD and putting it on an iPod as "perfectly lawful".

"It is no secret that the entertainment 'oligopolists' are not happy about space-shifting and format-shifting," said the Electronic Frontier Foundation in a statement. "But surely ripping your own CDs to your own iPod passes muster. "

Source : VnuNet
Post #: 1
RE: RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! - 2/17/2006 2:59:30 PM   
Dartman

They have a pliable administration over here so they are going to push for everything they can get before the backlash sets in. Hopefully this will get shot down before somebody sneaks it in, greedy SOB's

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! - 2/17/2006 4:07:52 PM   
MP3Mogul

They will "NEVER" learn.  If I can "play" it... I can get a digital copy..... The RIAA will never learn.  If I purchase a CD, I have the right to back it up.  What happens when it's out of print???

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Dartman)
Post #: 3
RE: RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! - 2/17/2006 4:44:07 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha....believe it or not...I was waiting for your comment MP3Mogul.......and I must say that i TOTALLY AGREE with what you said....

It's all about $$$ if someone asks me....just that...business is business...although the way that RIAA follows is dead wrong....maybe they'll learn in time...maybe not....all I know is that it makes me cry to see how they would like to empty pockets of serious/hardworking people who make a copy or two (from media that they legally bought)....and on the other side...makes me laugh alot to see that although they believe they are the smartest a55e5 in the Universe, they cant do nothing against some Russia or China....hahahahaha... Dont get me wrong...its not that i support illegal copying or something like that....its just that you cant threat some people (who are at your "operational range" ) like they are the worst trash, because i.e. their kids would like to listen to the songs (from CD that they paid and acquired totally legally!) on their iPod's or some other equipment, and dont want to pay same price AGAIN (for same songs!), to be able to download and listen them....and on the other side...allow millions and million to do whatever they want and make billions of copies, and DO NOTHING! (just because you cant reach them...or the laws in those countries arent as RIAA would like to)...

I still believe that if prices would be fair for everyone in the world - maybe up to 5$ per music cd (cause who says that producers and singers and other CEO's and shareholders should get millions of $$$, when the majority of other people suffer and cant afford basic needs....thats not right!), that then majority of people would rather buy songs (and other software and else) than to make illegal copies and stuff...and only then I would agree that they may "hunt" those who still do illegal copies and stuff...you cant just take and give nothing in return...huhhh...strange world...enough...its not worth my time nor brains...

Final words...it would still take many years, before people would change their mentality and stop making copies...but this way (as it is now...and how things at RIAA show at the moment)...everything will get much worse in years to follow....maybe its just me...but...time will surely tell....so let's sit down...have a beer...and wait...

Good day everyone....

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 4
RE: RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! - 2/17/2006 6:17:36 PM   
MP3Mogul

Much Agreed!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> RIAA aims to ban CD ripping ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI