CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 755 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/14/2004 11:44:19 PM   
Catmandu

I recently purchased a Lite-On LTR-52327S burner for my system and installed the Nero Express software that came with the burner. The installation went smoothly and no problems were reported. I also installed the Nero INCD packet-writing software.

The problem is that the burn always fails after the lead-in at around 5 to 10 %. I also downloaded and installed a copy of MusicMatch, which does exactly the same thing. I downloaded the ASPI fix for WinXP/2K, installed it, and am getting exactly the same result, failure after lead-in.

However, the INCD packet software works fine, as does the native burn support in Win XP. I can drag and drop files to the CDR and they will burn fine. I've tried several different CDRs, including TDK, Verbatim and Imation, all with the same results.

A little about my system:

Epox 8RD3A+ n-force 2 motherboard
AMD XP1800+ overclocked to XP2200+
512Mb Corsair Xtreme 3200 memory
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1
Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW
Lite-On LTD-166S DVD-ROM
Nero Express
Nero INCD
MusicMatch

Any suggestions on how I might get this thing to work? Another thing that puzzles me is that Win XP reports both drives as SCSI, and they are both definitely IDE.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Catmandu
Post #: 1
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/15/2004 3:30:19 AM   
MP3Mogul

Yep, you'll have to DISABLE the IMAPI burning software in windows...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 2
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/15/2004 6:20:35 AM   
Catmandu

quote:
Originally posted by MP3Mogul

Yep, you'll have to DISABLE the IMAPI burning software in windows...

How do I do that? Do I delete the IMAPI.sys file or is there some internal way to disable it that I haven't been able to find? Sorry, I'm fairly new to Win XP Pro and I'm still learning the stuff that's hidden behind layer after layer of screens.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 3
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/15/2004 9:13:29 AM   
yi_hsun

ok, let me tell you how to do that.
1. enter "services.msc" in Start-> Run textbox without " " marks.
2. on the left hand window you'll see "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
3. double-click on it.
4. under startup type dropbox, choose "Disable".
5. restart windows.

done.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 4
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/17/2004 6:57:52 AM   
Catmandu

quote:
Originally posted by yi_hsun

ok, let me tell you how to do that.
1. enter "services.msc" in Start-> Run textbox without " " marks.
2. on the left hand window you'll see "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
3. double-click on it.
4. under startup type dropbox, choose "Disable".
5. restart windows.

done.

Thanks for your help, guys. It is greatly appreciated. However, in this case, it didn't work. I disabled IMAPI and re-started Windows, but I'm still getting the aborted burn after lead-in. I tried uninstalling Nero and MusicMatch and reinstalling them individually with no better result. Still aborts after lead-in. Is there anything else you can think of that I might try?

Thanks,
Catmandu

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 5
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/18/2004 12:19:15 AM   
yi_hsun

have you make sure that DMA is set to enable in whatever ide channel you're using?

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 6
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/18/2004 1:50:57 PM   
MP3Mogul

Try some different media brands.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 7
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/19/2004 7:07:45 AM   
Catmandu

quote:

have you make sure that DMA is set to enable in whatever ide channel you're using?

That may be the problem, Yi. I'm not sure how to check if Direct Memory Access is enabled in Win XP Pro and I've been looking for it for days. Probably somewhere I'll kick myself for not figuring it out. My system is one I built myself, so I know the hardware end of it pretty well. I'm just not very familiar with Win XP Pro and haven't had much time to work with it.

I just don't think media is the issue, Mogul, because I can drag & drop files onto a cdr with any of the types of media I have and they burn fine, even the crappy Imation (CMC Magnetics) ones. It's just when I try to burn a full CD that I have problems.

Thanks for the replies, guys. With your help, I'm confident I can get this thing working.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 8
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/19/2004 9:54:02 AM   
sp

Right click "My Computer", click on "Properties", then go to "Hardware", "Device Manager".

Check the DMA settings for the controllers listed under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" on the left expanding tree.

WM # CI

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 9
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/19/2004 6:54:29 PM   
yi_hsun

Please let us know if your problem has been fixed by enabling DMA. Thanks.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 10
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/20/2004 8:06:52 AM   
Catmandu

quote:
Originally posted by sp

Right click "My Computer", click on "Properties", then go to "Hardware", "Device Manager".

Check the DMA settings for the controllers listed under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" on the left expanding tree.

Hmmm... That's where I thought it was, but it isn't. When I go to Device Manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers link, the subfolder is NVIDIA nforce (TM) IDE controller. Right-clicking on this to open Properties brings up a 3-tab box. On the General page, there is a device type (IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller), the manufacturer (NVIDIA), location (PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0) and the Device Status (working properly). On the Driver page, there is information about the driver (NVIDIA) and the options to update, roll back or uninstall. On the Resources page, there is info about the memory addresses, a Conflicting Device list (none) and a grayed-out area to use automatic settings or change settings. Nothing else. No mention of DMA at all anywhere. What am I missing, guys? Is the nvidia IDE controller that much different that it doesn't have DMA settings? I wouldn't think so, but I'm at a loss to find where to enable DMA on this burner.

Thanks for the help

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 11
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/20/2004 7:56:03 PM   
yi_hsun

don't go into "NVIDIA nforce (TM) IDE controller", under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" you should also see "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel". If your burner is installed under secondary channel then just click into the properties of "Secondary IDE Channel" or vice versa. It's not a bad idea to turn on DMA on all of your devices, so you can just turn that on on both channels.

Then goto the "Advance Settings" tab and choose "use DMA" under transer mode for your device. Restart after it's done.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 12
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/21/2004 9:13:18 AM   
Catmandu

quote:

don't go into "NVIDIA nforce (TM) IDE controller", under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" you should also see "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel". If your burner is installed under secondary channel then just click into the properties of "Secondary IDE Channel" or vice versa. It's not a bad idea to turn on DMA on all of your devices, so you can just turn that on on both channels.

Then goto the "Advance Settings" tab and choose "use DMA" under transer mode for your device. Restart after it's done.

That's just it, yi_hsun, the only thing under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers heading is the nvidia nforce IDE controller. There is no Primary IDE Channel nor Secondary IDE Channel listed. The hard drives are listed separately under a heading called Disk Drives and the CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives are listed under another heading called DVD/CD-ROM Drives. Device Manager reports both the hard drives, the burner and the DVD drive as SCSI devices, which they are most definitely not. There is no way to enable (or disable) DMA on any of these drives under those headings.

I'm not sure if this is because of the way the nvidia nforce 2 is set up, or if it's because of Win XP. I checked my system at work today, which is a Dell Pentium 4 machine running Win 2K and it was just as you said, listing the primary and secondary IDE channels under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers heading. My machine simply isn't like that and I suspect it's because of the nvidia IDE controller. I have yet to figure out how to enable DMA on anything.

I truly appreciate your help. If anyone has any other suggestions, they are welcome.

Thanks,
David

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 13
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/21/2004 7:05:46 PM   
sp

Obviously, your mainboards drivers do not allow setting DMA under device manager.
Most probably you can not know wether DMA is on or off. Most disappointing is the fact you will have to live this way, unless the manufacturer releases a new driver handling this feature or MS includes such a driver on future OS updates/upgrades.

WM # CI

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 14
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/22/2004 12:31:59 AM   
yi_hsun

Looks like you have to figure how to enable DMA for your nForce based MB by contacting the manufacturer? or maybe there's no way to do it, you should try to find nForce board related fourm and asked those users. Well, right now you can still check whether your DMA is on by using "Nero Info Tool" under configuration tab.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 15
RE: Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure - 2/22/2004 1:38:21 AM   
ant

Try installing the nVDIA drivers again. Possibly you will be asked about IDE controllers or DMA setings, choose YES and please get back to us with the results.

(in reply to Catmandu)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Lite-On CDRW Burn Failure Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI