CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1633 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fas... - 2/14/2006 12:07:24 PM   
SiliconFreak

Samsung Electronics today claimed that it has developed the world's fastest graphics memory – a GDDR4 graphics DRAM chip with much faster processing than an earlier version that Samsung prototyped only four months ago.

Designed with 80nm process technology, the device has a 12.8GB/sec processing speed, 30% faster than the company’s previous prototype, which allows it to transfer the equivalent of up to six DVD-quality movies every second. The 512Mbit GDDR4 graphics DRAM comes with 32 input/output pins, each of which transfers data at 3.2Gbit/sec. In October, Samsung completed samples of a 256Mbit GDDR4 that processed video (and accompanying audio) at 10GB per second.

The computer industry is expected to greatly accelerate its switchover from 32-bit to 64-bit computing in the second half of 2006, which will trigger a surge in demand for GDDR4 chips, the company sated.

Market watchers predict that sales of graphics chipsets, which represent the largest portion of the graphics memory market, will reach US$2.7 billion this year, up 10% from US$2.5 billion in 2005. Further, the graphics DRAM market is forecast to grow 27% year this year to US$1.9 billion, from US$1.5 billion in 2005.

Source : DigiTimes
Post #: 1
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/15/2006 12:45:13 PM   
Clint

What would be interesting is the operating frequency of these chips - can we break into the 2.0GHz barrier with DDR yet (set from the factory, not OC'd with liquid nitrogen or something crazy ass)?!?

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/15/2006 5:45:44 PM   
SiliconFreak

By my opinion...NO... But...who really cares about operating frequencies...overall speed/bandwidth is what really counts...at least to me... Because I dont care if my memory works @ 1 or 10Ghz...I just know I will always pick the one that i.e. gives me 30Gbps over 10Gbps of bandwidth...and if that can be acchieved @ 1Ghz....even better.....(cause it will also give me much more room for OC'ing )....

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 3
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/17/2006 1:29:10 PM   
Clint

True, but the more cycles /s means greater bandwidth also, which counts to you...

Post #: 4
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/17/2006 3:37:52 PM   
SiliconFreak

Agree...

...but if i.e. you use 64bit data bus...you will get 2 times (well almost) the bandwidth than with 32bit data bus (if everything else is the same)....so if they can acchieve i.e. 10Gbps bandwidth @ 32bits @ 1Ghz....then @ 64bits it would be almost 20Gbps.... And thats what counts to me...FINAL RESULT......and i dont care much how do they acchieve that...only results/final performance counts.... They can use atomic energy if they want...hahahahhaa....(and import it from Iran )....or use nanotechnology....where 1 atom transmits 1bit of data (or much more....dont know how far are they lately....)....all i wanna see is REAL PERFORMANCE on my computer...thats all....no tests....no paper launches...nothing...just BRUTAL SPEEDDDDDDDDDD...

And like I said...whether they use 5Ghz frequency or some old XT's few Hz's...I dont care....

Enjoy...

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 5
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/20/2006 2:08:25 AM   
Clint

LOL you have some strange thoughts my man!

You can rest easy as 64/128-bit buses are already apart of high(er) end card design these days.

Post #: 6
RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims... - 2/20/2006 5:47:27 AM   
SiliconFreak

hahahaha....i am resting...dont worry...with beers in my hands....and sexy babe in bikini in between...

I know very well about buses in today's graphic cards mannnnnnnn (btw, need to correct you...256bit buses (not just 64/128 ones) are in today's high end cards - and 512 ring-bus memory controllers also )....hahahaha....i used that 32&64bits just as an example...

Finally...like i said...I dont care how they acchieve better speed/bandwidth/performance...either with higher frequencies or with some magic powder.......all I care about is final overall performance and price...

Peace m8....

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI