CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 739 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! - 12/5/2005 7:19:04 AM   
SiliconFreak

The virus-scanning feature Google added to its Gmail Web mail service this week has generated concern, bewilderment and disappointment among some users.

The three main complaints being aired in Gmail discussion groups are: The virus-scanning feature can't be turned off.

Gmail's long-standing virus protection -- blocking all executable file attachments -- will remain in place. Finally, Google isn't saying which vendor is providing the antivirus technology.

A Google spokeswoman said that, while Google gives thoughtful consideration to user feedback, for now it has no plans to make the antivirus feature optional, nor does it plan to stop blocking executables. She also declined to identify the source of the antivirus technology Google is using.

Disabling the virus scanning is convenient for users who may occasionally need to mail an infected file for reporting purposes to an antivirus vendor and for users who may regularly handle infected messages if they are, say, IT professionals involved in antivirus work.

William Boyle, principal software engineer at Brooks Automation in Massachusetts, doesn't foresee being very inconvenienced, but he thinks Google should give users the option to turn off the feature.

"I just do not like to lose control over what I can send and/or receive," Boyle wrote in an e-mail interview with IDG News Service. "This may be a problem if I am trying to report a virus to someone."

"I am a systems software engineer and must be able to send and receive any sort of message," added Boyle, who has been using Gmail for about six months, but not as his primary account for work or personal communications.

Meanwhile, there are users feeling disappointed that Google is keeping in place its policy of blocking all executable file attachments in Gmail. Prior to the new virus-scanning feature, this had been Gmail's virus protection method.

One of these users is Thomas Quinlen, an attorney with McNabb, Bragorgos & Burgess in Tennessee. "With virus scanning in place, the blocking is redundant," he wrote in an e-mail interview.

Quinlen, who uses Gmail as his primary e-mail account for personal communications, has felt inconvenienced by this feature whenever he has wanted to e-mail himself an application from one of his computers in order to install it in one or both of his other computers.

He has remote access to his work desktop PC from his laptop and from his home PC, he explained. "But if I am going to be disconnected from the Internet -- on an airplane, for instance -- I need the [work] application on the other [nonwork] computer," he wrote. "Given the size of attachments Gmail allows, it seems like executables should be allowed, particularly if I am e-mailing it to myself, which is really just file storage rather than sending it out over the Internet."

Although some technically savvy users are chiming in discussion groups with ways to disguise executables and trick Gmail into allowing them, Quinlen doesn't feel he has the necessary know-how to accomplish this. "I doubt I have the computer skills to even attempt to defeat [this feature]," he wrote.

Finally, a number of Gmail users are loudly wondering in discussion group threads which antivirus technology Google is licensing, as they weigh what they perceive to be the strengths and weaknesses of different vendors. The consensus among these users is that they shouldn't be in the dark regarding which antivirus company is ultimately protecting their computers.

Source : PC World
Post #: 1
RE: Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! - 12/5/2005 9:41:14 AM   
SithTracy

Why complain?  .EXE files should not be sent via E-mail anyway... Use a compression program (i.e. 7-Zip, WinRAR/RAR, WinZip/PKZIP/GZIP, etc.) or encryption (i.e. OpenPGP - Gnu Privacy Guard, PGP, FileCrypt, or EDGE) to send your data via e-mail.

I'll close out by saying I like Gmail... took some getting used to, but I'm happy I stuck with it.  I imagine it will topple Yahoo Mail when it is done with it's very long beta run (Typical Google - beta forever!).

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! - 12/5/2005 10:41:07 AM   
major9686

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

Why complain?  .EXE files should not be sent via E-mail anyway... Use a compression program (i.e. 7-Zip, WinRAR/RAR, WinZip/PKZIP/GZIP, etc.) or encryption (i.e. OpenPGP - Gnu Privacy Guard, PGP, FileCrypt, or EDGE) to send your data via e-mail.

I'll close out by saying I like Gmail... took some getting used to, but I'm happy I stuck with it.  I imagine it will topple Yahoo Mail when it is done with it's very long beta run (Typical Google - beta forever!).

I cant send ZIP nor RAR over Gmail :( it sux ..
cause of this I had to upload all my stuff I wanna get to other people to RapidShare.de :(

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! - 12/5/2005 11:09:31 AM   
SithTracy

quote:

I cant send ZIP nor RAR over Gmail

I've had no problems with this at all.  Do it all the time as well as encrypted messages through both the web version of Gmail and through Mozilla Thunderbird.  I do think there is a size restriction on attachments.  Other services for large files are Dropload and SendMeFile.com.

(in reply to major9686)
Post #: 4
RE: Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! - 12/5/2005 2:18:02 PM   
MP3Mogul

I have no problems sending .ZIP's or .RAR's with Gmail.. I do it on a daily basis.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Gmail virus scanning draws some user complaints ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI