CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 605 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls - 11/28/2005 6:55:43 AM   
T3TRISizer

Sony Corp. has become the latest of the video game console makers to announce parental controls in it newest machine, according to the Entertainment Software Association.

Now, all three major console makers are promising parents the means to help restrict their children's access to violent video games.

Sony will place the controls on its forthcoming machine, PlayStation 3, according to the ESA. Users of PlayStation 2 could limit access, but only to movies, not games.

The company wasn't immediately prepared to comment.

Microsoft Corp. had already placed parental controls in its new Xbox 360, which debuted last week. The machine lets users restrict access to video games and DVDs that carry certain ratings, such as "T" for "teen" or "M" for "mature." It also offers parental controls on the company's Xbox Live online gaming service, limiting who their children can interact with.

Earlier this month, Nintendo Inc. announced similar plans for its next-generation machine, Revolution, due out in 2006.

Sony, which leads the worldwide market with more than 102 million PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles sold, also introduced parental control for games in its PlayStation Portable, launched earlier this year.

The video game industry has been under tougher scrutiny in recent years as lawmakers enacted legislation restricting sales of violent video games to minors. Industry groups have so far successfully challenged the laws in court, citing violations of the First Amendment.

"With the average age of game players now 30, our industry naturally creates content appropriate for a wide range of audiences, just as there are TV shows, films, music and books for people of all tastes, interests and values," said Doug Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association.

Lowenstein commended the game console makers for voluntarily applying parental control technology that is not yet found in other media devices, such as DVD or music players.

Source : Yahoo News
Post #: 1
RE: Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls - 11/28/2005 10:18:38 AM   
flammable pyro

i always thought it was pathetic how when one game system does somthing the other two most follow like with xbox live wat did sony do? they made there own xbox live but it wasent great... butif a console canot ocme up with unique things that are all its own that wont get stole from then how the hell will we be able to tell them apart? if they have everything the other one has all well do it pick the system that looks cooler.

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 2
RE: Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls - 12/13/2005 3:06:23 AM   
ah bao

but the good thing of having the consoles follow each other is for them to be competitive... and when are competitvie they usually make innovations... so it's good that they follow each other just as long as they make new creative technology as well..

(in reply to flammable pyro)
Post #: 3
RE: Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls - 12/13/2005 8:37:28 PM   
flammable pyro

this might sound weird but do i know u?

He's not dead... he's electroencephalographically challenged.

(in reply to ah bao)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Sony PlayStation to Get Parental Controls Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI