CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Linux grows stronger with kernel update   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 841 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux grows stronger with kernel update Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linux grows stronger with kernel update - 11/21/2005 5:12:52 PM   
LinuxMarshall

Linux has moved closer to maturity as a robust datacentre platform, with the release of a major refresh of the kernel software.

The latest version of the Linux kernel - kernel 2.6.14 - which is at the core of many enterprise Linux products, is designed to make it a stronger alternative to the Windows operating system. Enterprise Linux suppliers such as Red Hat and Novell said they expected to adopt the kernel in their Linux distributions to improve the datacentre capabilities of their products.

A Novell spokesman said, "By using the new Linux kernel, Novell can create a mature, datacentre-ready, Linux enterprise server."

Linux kernel 2.6.14 features many enhancements to improve usability, the main one being native support for Wi-Fi (broadband wireless) running on Intel's mobile Centrino platform. However, suppliers must still obtain the Intel driver firmware separately from the kernel due to Intel's licensing restrictions.

The kernel also has better support for technologies such as InfiniBand, USB and SCSI.

The kernel was originally scheduled to be completed on 7 October, two months after release 2.6.13, which followed two months after the previous version. Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, said, "It was delayed twice due to some last-minute bug-reports, some of which were false alarms."

Source : Computer Weekly
Post #: 1
RE: Linux grows stronger with kernel update - 11/21/2005 10:09:48 PM   
tqhoang

I hope that FC3 will get this kernel upgrade.  Seems their Centrino drivers are a bit old in their version of the 2.6.12 kernel.

M$ Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1015.003
AthlonXP Barton 3000+
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT AGP
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Fw FS0J
NEC ND-2100A@2510A Fw 2.0A
NEC ND-6750A Fw 2.42
NEC AD-7170A Fw 1.O4
Plextor Premium Fw 1.07
Plextor PX-716UF Fw 1.11

(in reply to LinuxMarshall)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux grows stronger with kernel update Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI