CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Vendors Pledge to Share Linux Patents   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1350 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Vendors Pledge to Share Linux Patents Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vendors Pledge to Share Linux Patents - 11/10/2005 6:55:18 PM   
LinuxMarshall

IBM, Red Hat join Open Invention Network in promoting open source software.

Five of the biggest names in technology have funded a new venture called the Open Invention Network that will acquire patents and offer them royalty free to promote the Linux open-source operating system.

The Open Invention Network was formed with undisclosed investments from IBM, Novell, Philips Electronics, Sony, and Red Hat, and will be headed by Jerry Rosenthal, who was most recently vice president of IBM's Intellectual Property and Licensing business, according to a statement released by the venture.

When the Open Invention Network acquires patents they will be available to any company, institution or individual that agrees not to assert its patents against the Linux OS or certain Linux-related applications, it said in a statement. Among its initial patent holdings will be a set of business-to-business electronic commerce patents that were purchased from Commerce One by a Novell subsidiary, it said.

Read more...

Source : PC WORLD
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Vendors Pledge to Share Linux Patents Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI