CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1309 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! - 11/9/2005 6:28:21 AM   
SiliconFreak

Finance magazine Forbes.com wants you to send an email to your future self in two decades time.

The outfit is collecting together thousands of emails and will hold them as a digital time capsule. In 20 year's time they will email them back to you.

Although the scheduling the e-mail for future delivery is pretty easy the actual storage of them over that length of time is not. Forbes does not plan to store the emails physically, it wants to do it online.

Forbes says the software designed to look after the emails has been written so that it can be easily adapted to new network technologies that might come along. It has also signed up Yahoo to guard the emails on the basis that a large giant like the search outfit will survive 20 years.

Although it cannot guarantee the program it has written to store the emails will work and there is a lot that can happen in 20 years, Forbes hopes that it has built enough latency into the system.

The weakest link is still the humans who send the emails. Few people have the same email addresses they had a decade ago and there does not seem to be anyway of avoiding this problem built into Forbe's planning.

More here

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! - 11/10/2005 5:10:01 PM   
Matthew

Great, what's the betting those who do have the same address will get a deluge of 20 year old SPAM!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! - 11/16/2005 4:11:22 AM   
emperor

probably a spamm collector

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 3
RE: Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! - 11/28/2005 10:05:06 PM   
flammable pyro

actually that sounds really cool not for the ppl whom will have the same emails but it would be awsome to get a amail from the past in 20 years

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 3/26/2006 4:27:13 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to flammable pyro)
  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Send yourself an email to arrive in 20 years ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI