CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Using Linux with Kids   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 607 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Using Linux with Kids Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Linux with Kids - 10/12/2005 6:18:23 AM   
LinuxMarshall

Using computers with kids can be problematic. On Windows machines problems arise when they start fooling around with system files or don't respond appropriately to warning messages. By contrast, the greater security provided by Linux means kids can play, largely unsupervised, with little risk to the system. This briefing looks at various aspects of using Linux with kids - both in terms of software and playing with hardware.

Gnu/Linux is a really good computer operating system - especially if you like playing with networks or programming languages. But there is one area where both the resources available with Linux distributions, and the efforts of the Linux support community to provide assistance, are a little thin - using Linux with young children. This briefing has been developed to address this shortfall in support.

The development of this briefing has not been a formal study. It has emerged as a result of the experience gained in studying how two young children (right) have been able to learn how to use the computer, and the functions of the graphical desktop.

What follows is therefore a documentation of the knowledge gained from observation rather than an in-depth study. It is also the reason why this briefing is limited to the ages three to seven. However, it is hoped that the idea presented here will spawn other projects to provide support for the use of Gnu/Linux with young children.

Full story : The Linux w/Kids tutorial

Source : Techzonez
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Using Linux with Kids Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI