CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

StarOffice 8 Ships !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1198 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Software News >> StarOffice 8 Ships ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
StarOffice 8 Ships ! - 9/28/2005 3:53:05 AM   
SiliconFreak

Product could capitalize on Open Document Format support.

Now that at least one state has mandated the use of the OpenDocument format, there may be more interest than ever before in StarOffice.

Sun Microsystems on Tuesday shipped StarOffice 8, the latest version of its desktop productivity suite. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company said the product is the first commercial office suite to support the OpenDocument format, which is designed to ease data flow among applications and upgrades.

OpenDocument has been at the center of an ongoing dispute between Microsoft and Massachusetts. The state has threatened to move its agencies from Microsoft Office to other applications if Microsoft does not support the OpenDocument format.

StarOffice 8 is based on OpenOffice 2.0 but adds new enterprise management perks and a Visual Basic Applications (VBA) macro converter, said Iyer Venkatesan, product line manager at Sun. The Macro Migration Wizard helps convert macros written in VBA code, a key feature given that many businesses virtually run on Excel macros. Word macros also are common.

Full story...

Source : DesktopPipeline
Post #: 1
RE: StarOffice 8 Ships ! - 9/28/2005 1:10:22 PM   
SithTracy

Does anyone have any insight on when OpenOffice.org 2.0 might get released?  Beta 2 is only about a month old.  I hope this duo of a more funtional user friendly StarOffice/OpenOffice.org takes off and actually competes with Microsoft.  MS Office is a decent product but it is way over priced.  OpenOffice.org is excellent for the price!!!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: StarOffice 8 Ships ! - 9/29/2005 9:20:19 AM   
SiliconFreak

Sorry...dont have any news about when OpenOffice 2 may be released...but as soon as I get them...I'll post them for sure...

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: StarOffice 8 Ships ! - 9/29/2005 12:15:44 PM   
SithTracy

Should be soon. I just got an e-mail this AM that they have relased RC1.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: StarOffice 8 Ships ! - 9/29/2005 3:47:04 PM   
SiliconFreak

WOW! That means that you know more about it than i do......so be my guest and post any news about it when you receive them,ok?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Software News >> StarOffice 8 Ships ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI