CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

ps2 copyright games   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1450 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> ps2 copyright games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ps2 copyright games - 11/15/2003 9:10:07 PM   
pnonso

What is the copyright protection on the ps2 games? Is it just that the ps2 copied game(s) will not have the boot information on it/them? Are all ps2 copyright protection games te same? I mean, do they all have the same copyright protection/lock? ANY input will be appreciated! Thanks.[8)]
Post #: 1
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/17/2003 6:38:19 PM   
sp

As long as I know they all should have at least a common copy protection, some part of the boot firmware.

This means that if you distribute it, which is necessarry in order to obtain a copy able to boot without a mod chip, then you infrige Sony's copyright! This is indeed very clever.
If you are trying to make an emulator then you ill end up having to diseminate bart of this Sony protected boot code, Again very clever. If I remember well, 3 years ago a US company tried to make a PS1 emulator and then run all these troubles.

Please also note that noone restricts Sony from coming up with an additional copy protection scheme able to be utilised in newer generation machines.

WM # CI

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 2
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/17/2003 8:36:48 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

are you referring to Bleem? that was a VERY awesome emulator, and it worked VERY well on some games! Played my Bushido Blade better then the PS1 did!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 3
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/17/2003 10:01:21 PM   
sp

Ye, DR, I think it was Bleed and Sony gained the lawsuite against the company because of this boot code. (If I remmber well. Certainly, the boot code was one of the issues in the courts.)

WM # CI

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 4
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/18/2003 11:28:57 AM   
Jimmys

I like very much the idea of emulators.
I have used in past gameboy advanced emulator, amiga 500 emulator i have also emulate operating systems like the linux and the windows.
All of them were very easily to use and in case of the bleem the results were very impressively
I didn't know though that the usage of an emulator is illegal[}:)]

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 5
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/19/2003 5:14:13 AM   
pnonso

What exactly is an emulator?

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 6
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/19/2003 5:54:22 AM   
pnonso

Also, sp, you posted that Sony can change their technology on their games, so that if I got a mod chip now I would not be able to play the copied games?

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 7
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/19/2003 11:26:07 AM   
Jimmys

Psono
Emulator is a software that emulate something
Its like the ms flight simulator that emulates a flight
Currenlty there are emulators for old consoles like ps1,dreamcast, gameboy and others.
In case of playstation 1 the bleem emulator gives you the opportunity to play many ps1 games on your pc.
You just insert the ps1 game cd into your cdrom ,run the software(bleem) and you are ready to go!
The most known emulator is the M.A.M.E that emulates all the arcade machine games(http://www.mame.net/)
A few months ago , was released an emulator(VMWare) for operating systems.

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 8
RE: ps2 copyright games - 11/19/2003 8:22:22 PM   
sp

Hello Pronso

I mean that future versions (hardware revisions) of PS2, might allow more strong copy-protections. This is possible by adding more catch-controls into the operating system in the ROM.
It will be difficult (but not impossible) these new copy protected games to not play even on earlier versions of PS2.

Personally, I believe Sony always wanted uses to be able to make back up copies of the games and these to be able to run on its consoles. They just try to make it somewhat difficult, in order to force the less determined users to buy only authentic games. (They lose warranty.) On the hand, a non-*****able machine is doomed to fail. For a long time, for example, Sega released DreamCast. The quality of graphics/games was somewhere between PS1 and PS2. Initially, there was no mod-chip available. As soon as Sony introduced PS2, then immediately the net flood with mod-chips for the DreamCast...

WM # CI

(in reply to pnonso)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> ps2 copyright games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll