CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1562 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/10/2002 8:57:17 PM   
evilbasta

Well, the 5S57 firmware was posted for a brief amount of time on www.liteonit.com and then retracted. Reason unknown.

The tray opening issue was attributed to some motherboards not resetting to 0 volts when the computer was shutdown - so there is your cause.

This unfortunately covers a wide variety of boards, in particular Abit boards, and a large variety of kt266a based boards including the Solteks and Epoxs.

I managed to grab the 5S57 before it was removed and I can verify that all my tray ejecting problems have disappeared on my Abit KR7a. I burnt several CDs last night (albeit not copy protected ones) without issue. There have been others though who have said the firmware has not fixed their problem - perhaps this is why the firmware was retracted, in order to present a broader encompassing patch.

Check out this thread for mirrors of the removed firmware.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3444

Edited by - evilbasta on 02/10/2002 21:00:38

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 49
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 6:59:54 AM   
3sc

Well my problem is different. I installed the 24x and I can't get it to open the tray when I try to use it. It either opens half way and closes or not at all.I run an Epox 8kha+ board and an Enlight 340 watt p/s. Tried master and slave setting on both ide channels including putting the cdrw by itself on the secondary ide but no luck.I only run 2 drives in the system (HDD and CDROM) so I should have plenty of power. I can't get the cdrw to open manually with a paper clip either. Sometimes it will open this way but I have to tap the damn thing against my leg. I think the floating drive mechanism is bad but I don't know...any ideas?

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 50
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 7:02:15 AM   
3sc

quote:

Well my problem is different. I installed the 24x and I can't get it to open the tray when I try to use it. It either opens half way and closes or not at all.I run an Epox 8kha+ board and an Enlight 340 watt p/s. Tried master and slave setting on both ide channels including putting the cdrw by itself on the secondary ide but no luck.I only run 2 drives in the system (HDD and CDROM) so I should have plenty of power. I can't get the cdrw to open manually with a paper clip either. Sometimes it will open this way but I have to tap the damn thing against my leg. I think the floating drive mechanism is bad but I don't know...any ideas?
I updated the firmware to the 5s57 per a LiteOn tech but that didn't help either...maybe I should've got a Plex.....:(

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 51
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 9:14:22 AM   
onezone

to help you out - and clarify a point... I have the ABIT KT7A with RAID, And when I used to unplug the PSU (power supply) my cd drawer would not stay shut.. it kept on opening too... I too was at the end of my tether.. and fed up..

Today I downloaded the new firmware .. from a link on the Liteon Forum, its about still ..and my problems are now fixed, I powered off my pc, turned off the PSU, unplugged it, went and made a cup of tea, came back... plugged it all in, switched on.. and the cd drawer stays CLOSED !! - unless of course I press the eject button :-))

Working for me - fixed - at last - I am happy !

OneZone

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 52
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 9:56:32 AM   
RobsTV

Just to add to the Abit strangeness.
Had the problems with my Liteon and KT7A non-Raid, so moved the KT7A into wife's PC, and upgraded mine to Epox. Problem solved. Later, bought a Cendyne 24x hoping it too would be a LiteOn. It was not, but was instead an AOpen built unit. Installed the Cendyne/Apen in Abit PC, and sure enough, problems. This time drive wasn't even recognized with the Abit. After some testing, was able to get it working by removing IDE cable from drive and booting, then plugged IDE back in, and rebooted again. Drive then found. I believe the Abit not resetting to 0 volts when the computer was shutdown, was also related to this issue.

I think this should confirm that the Abit is more the source of problems than the LiteOn is, as AOpen also wouldn't work out of the box. After a few years with several Abit's, the very slight extra performance they give just isn't worth the quirks they exhibit.

Edited by - RobsTV on 02/11/2002 10:02:33

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 53
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 8:24:23 PM   
Orbik

The problem is not only on KT7 board, because I own an Asus A7V with the same "tray ejecting" problem.

I also upgraded the firmware with the file that Lite-on retracted, it didn't solve the problem at all.
I'm gonna kill someone when I'll throw the drive through my house !

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 54
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/11/2002 11:09:34 PM   
Waynus

Same problem here with Lite On 24x10x40 but with an Epox 8KTA3Pro board. Doubt it's power supply - running Topower 400w. Still very strange - put in in other computer 10 days ago and absolutely no probs.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 55
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 8:20:59 AM   
RobsTV

quote:

Same problem here with Lite On 24x10x40 but with an Epox 8KTA3Pro board. Doubt it's power supply - running Topower 400w. Still very strange - put in in other computer 10 days ago and absolutely no probs.

That is strange, as the cure to my LiteOn/Abit problem was swapping motherboards from the KT7A to the Epox 8KTA3Pro. Instantly fixed. Using only a 300w supply as well (although AMD certified). Before going to Epox, I changed power supplies to the certified one, hoping that would correct issue. Didn't help the Abit a bit. Works perfectly now that I have the Epox. Since after you put drive in another computer, and no problems, perhaps it is related to your power supply?

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 56
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 8:59:23 AM   
Orbik

All those weird tricks are just a "random solving" way to make it works.

People unplug cables, change their psu, change their mobos, but it just work randomly and the consider it like "THE WAY" to fix finally the problem.

I've tried 4 differents PSUs, doesnt solve it.

And the motherboard cannot be faulty, cause it eject the tray when the ide cable isnt connected, so...

I hope someone will find a real fix for it soon !

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 57
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 11:00:27 AM   
Orbik

quote:

Well i had the exact same problem and here it si how i fixed it:

while your pc is turned off, looka at the back of your burner: there are a set of 3 undocumented jumpers just aside the audio connector.
Short the last bottom two horizzontally. Turn on your pc for a few seconds, turn it off again and remove the jumper. At this stage my 24102B camne back to life. Looking from the back of the CDRW, short BB:

A A A Audio
B B A Conn.

I'll try this, this seems to be a trick that should work, I'll build a jumper with a switch on it

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 58
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 2:54:50 PM   
Einstein

By the way, just wanted to mention to an earlier post that ALL CD Recorders have a 2 year warranty in Europe now, not only Plextor, because the EU passed the law. *L*. Pretty nice huh?

E=MC^2

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 59
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 3:56:34 PM   
smartyheid

Hi! I would just like to add a few comments about this problem with drawer lockups. I have a Lex BN780Ultra(kt133A chipset) mobo with AMD1GHz Athlon,GeForce2MX and LTR16102B writer.

This setup has worked fine for about four months and then the aforementioned problem with the writer failing to shut down and open after the burn with several versions of Nero appeared after re-formatting the machine and installing a dual boot with win98se and win2000pro. I noticed that resetting the bios to optimised defaults sorted the problem but wouldn't stay fixed. I don't know if everybody is the same but when the writer locks up ALL ide devices lock up which seems to suggest that somehow the IDE controller on the motherboard is jamming up possibly due to some flaw in the writer's communication with the motherboard rather than a power fault. I may be wrong but it seems that the VIA chipset liteon firmware and/or Award Bios is causing the problem.I'm looking into it myself just now but so far have been unable to find a permanent fix, Anyway hope this might prove helpful in attempts to solve the problem.

Will keep trying cos this swine ain't gonna beat me!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 60
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/12/2002 4:16:39 PM   
Orbik

I've built this to test it, will know if it works soon

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 61
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/13/2002 11:58:07 AM   
Orbik

quote:

I've built this to test it, will know if it works soon

Update, it didn't work...

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 62
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/13/2002 12:48:12 PM   
rowlett

quote:

Well I have the same problem about 1 week after getting the drive. It has latest firmware and started causing trouble after I unplugged my PSU while I installed a new UPS device. Since then it has been causing problems, I have a 300W PSU that has never caused me any trouble. I have a KT7-RAID MB with latest bios.
I am going to look into various possibilities with this problem and will post my results.
Thanks for all the usefull info.

Dave

I have, like many others found the problem to be caused by removing power to your system and then re-applying power. This is due to the fact that when you shutdown the PC (ATX) ,there is still some power
to the motherboard which could also be maintaining some wierd setup on the IDE channels. When you remove the mains power then obviously this is cleared and for some starnge reason upsets the LiteON.
The method to resolve it seems to be to remove the IDE cable, power cycle the drive until it is reset, then plug the ide cable back in.

I do not believe the problem is completely down to the Abit boards (or even the Via chipsets) and that there is something to do with the LiteON firmware that does not like whatever is happening on the IDE bus when power is applied to the system.

If it was not for the fact that I have just recently re-installed my system after a bios update and have got everything running fantastically then I would have tried several BIOS versions for my board to see if it occurs.

I shall post up any other results I get.

Dave.

Dave Rowlett

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 63
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/13/2002 1:53:30 PM   
Orbik

I now downgraded my firmware to 5S07 an still have the same problem, it really upset me.

Thanks for your contribution rowlett, we'll probably be able to resolve it before liteon will if we continue !

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI