CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 582 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/29/2001 6:06:23 PM   
buggs1a

Ok, I've read some of the reports and find it impoossible to know who is right or wrong and think the only solution is get a different mobo or cdrw. Here is my issue and it is different then any one elses i think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
i have the abit KR7A-Raid mobo. just got it installed a few days ago. all pc
hardware is as follows.
Abit KR7A-Raid
The raid channel IDE slot 3 and 4 are ata/133
Lite-On 24*10*40 cdrw set as master on ide 2 slot from the mobo.
dvd rom drive set for slave on same channel as the cdrw.
512mb ddr pc2100 ram
80gb ata/133 drive 7200rpm set as master on IDE channel 1 slot.
leadtek geforce 3 64mb ddr 4ns with s video out and DVI out, it's a Ti200
card.
sound blaster audigy platinum with the cool front piece.
keyboard and mouse.
nice 19" monitor soon to be a 21" from Sony the MultiScan E500 most likely or the new View Sonic 22inch P225F Or something like that.
3com 905c nic

I have a serious problem.
When I hook up the ata/133 80gb hard drive to channel 3 which is the raid
ata/133 connection and my cdrw master drive is hooked up to either ide slot
1 or the slot 4, the cdrw drive opens automatically when i power the pc on.
when i close the cdrw it opens again and it will keep on doing that. opens,
i close it, it opens by itself right then and there. it won't stay shut.
basically when i have the hard drive plugged in to the raid which is channel
3, the cdrw master lite on drive won't stay shut even if just the power
cable is plugged in. i hooked up the hard drive to channel 3 and nothing
else was even plugged in to the mobo cept the power was plugged in to the
cdrw and the cdrw would not stay shut. if i have it hooked up normally like
hard drive on ide channel 1 and cdrw on channel 2
everything is fine. does anyone have the foggiest idea what the freak is
going on? i wanna have my hard drive on the channel 3 for the ata/133 speed.
but the manual says not to put cdrw etc on the channel 3 or 4. so i would
put those cd drives on channel 1 and or 2.

i have tried this cdrw in my G4 mac and it works perfectly. so it's not the
cdrw, but people here t's a compatibility issue with abit or
the via chipset and this cdrw. so if it is then i need a new cdrw that works
with everything and fast. 24*10*40 and raw mode etc etc, clone cd, cdrwin,
DJ, ez cd, hopefully built in win xp cd bruner, blind write etc. and
safedisc 1 and 2 and all that. the lite on drive i got does work with all
this great according to cdrinfo.com.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 33
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/30/2001 12:10:12 AM   
atp

Hi ,I have the 'lite-on eject problem' as well. My system is a TBird 1000 with ABIT KT7 mobo and a (new)300W PSU. After reading the posts and from my experience I'm positive its the ABIT board at fault.

I fitted the LTR-24102B on a separate channel as master and it worked fine for about a week with a 250W PSU. I switch it on one morning and it ejects the tray on POST. put a disc in, it spits it out. putting a cdr in causes it to flash the led for about 10 seconds then it ejects the disc. The board still detects the drive and it appears as a drive letter in win2k. So i turned the power off and disconnect the IDE cable from the lite-on. Switching it back on, it still ejects the tray - eliminating software/drivers/BIOS problems.

Then i fitted a new 300W PSU and left the IDE cable disconnected. Same problem. Trying different IDE cables (80 and 40 pins) still the same problem. However after leaving the machine off for a few hours, the drive seems to work perfectly. A few days later, after powering off the machine at the mains, it happens again.

It seems the only possible cause is the ABIT motherboards since virtually everyone posting about this fault has an ABIT board. Very frustrating - this intermittent problem is forcing me to buy a new board.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 34
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/30/2001 8:08:37 PM   
Leporello

I have the ejecting CD problem. The LTR-24102B works fine on three other lower spec systems. If I plug it back into my system after checking it in another system the bloody thing works - until I start to reassemble my system. Then the problem returns. I have tried all the "fixes" listed here without success.
I have an Enermax 465P-VE PSU and rather ominously an ABIT TH7IIR motherboard! If the Liteon won't work with Abit mobos, can anyone suggest a CDRW that will? I have already spent far too much of my time trying to make this thing work. I'm probably going to sell it at a substantial loss to a friend for whom the thing works!
I would welcome any last minute suggestions before I go ahead. BTW, if it is the mobo, what is the cause. In every other rspect I thing the TH7IIR is a very nice board. I installed it three weeks ago without a re-format and everything worked first time. This CDRW problem is a big disappointment. The Liteon web site is bloody slow and virtually useless.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 35
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/30/2001 8:32:31 PM   
buggs1a

only thing i can suggest is anyone who does have the lite on and problem sell the cdrw and get a different one. best thing to do is find where to send the cdrw back to lite on, just to shove the thing in their freaking face as lite on seem to be a bunch of jerk offs selling such a crappy product and not even offering support. all they do is sell the stuff and offer no tech support what so ever. no phone, email etc. what a freaking joke they are.
i will most likely sell my cdrw to someone else and if i could i would prefer to just send it to lite on with a huge nasty threatening letter.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 36
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/31/2001 5:52:53 AM   
nexro

I encounter a little different problem... my LTR24102B with firmware 5S54 only ejects when I insert a normal CD into it but it doesn't ejects when a CDR/CDRW is inserted. However, it doesn't read the CDR/CDRW so i can't continue a session if i burned it already. I am using an Abit board too, Abit BE6 (very old huh?). I also overclock my Celeron 466 to 582 MHz.
To solve the problem, I tried switching the 80 pin ATA100 cable to the old 40 pin ATA33 cable. Now, everything seems to be working fine. Perhaps this is the problem???

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 37
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/31/2001 4:16:05 PM   
Leporello

I've tried both types of IDE connector, neither makes the slightest difference.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 38
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/1/2002 11:23:18 AM   
nexro

Sorry,changing the connectors only made my drive worked for a day! However, i have found another way to make the drive work... without ejecting. I use a separate power supply (AT) to supply power to my CDROM drive and my Liteon 24X cdrw. It's now working. I don't know why it worked, there is nothing wrong with my ATX psu as i am using an Enlight 300W server power supply! Well, guess 2 power supplies is better than one huh? :)
Can anyone try and establish that using a separate psu works?

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 39
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/2/2002 12:21:38 AM   
Tron

I do not have a Liteon drive, but have been reading this topic with great interest because I plan on getting a new drive. I wonder if you were to get a UPS (Uninterupable Power Supply also known as a battery backup unit) if this would not solve the problem? I know that they feed a much cleaner AC signal to your internal power supply. I would think that cleaner power in would result in cleaner power out. Just an idea. If I get ahold of one of these drives I will test it. I do not think that these UPS units are too expensive either. Just trying to offer a little help....

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 40
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/2/2002 3:56:15 AM   
buggs1a

Well, I don't know if problem is fixed totally, but i swapped psu from other pc in home to this new one i got. so i am using a different psu and dont have the issue. before i said it only ejected when something was plugged in the ide channel 3 of my mobo. not ture anymore. i had ide channel 1 master hard drive and cd on ide channel 2 like normnal. no issue. power down and take power plug from hard drive and then plug in. boot, now i have problem. cdrw woouldn't stay shut. so i took out the power supply and from my other pc took its power supply and put it in my pc. worked fine when i booted, hooked another hard drive in to ide channel 3 and no issue yet. is a 300 watt power max.

i would like to know what burners out there are great ones? 24*10*40 or the new 32*10-16*40 with raw mode and work great in win xp and nero, ez cd, clone cd and blind write etc and all the modes? what's good? i don't wanna go plextor just based soley on the rumors of plextor getting rid of raw mode etc in firmware. so what is out there?

also i do not have any problems with the lite on 24*10*40 and digital audio cable. not that i know.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 41
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/2/2002 5:06:02 AM   
engvold

Hi All,

Looks like the fact that j00k did an update on the f/w for the LTR-24102B might have cured the problem. Please note that a major F/W upgrade has been posted on the LiteON site recently... you may want to check it out and flash you system with this update to see if it does the job.

A bit of information on this F/W update follows:

Revision: R245S54.zip
File Info: 396KB 2001/11/21
FIXES:
1. Reduce failure rate when burning.
2. Fit for new hardware design.
3. The firmware can fit all 24X CD-RW
(Just do It !)

The link is as follows:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english-load-firmware.htm

I just purchased this drive (RETAIL package) for $70US! Cannot beat that and all the reviews on this drive I read look great. However, the most important thing I see is that LiteON has a great support area and support updates for their product line.

I am sure there are some type of ATAPI identification / Power supply errors probably in the BIOS initialisation and Drive Closing / Media ID steps; hence a good attempt to fix this problem would be to upgrade the F/W to the latest version. Anyway, that would be the first question you would get from LiteOn's support group if you wanted to submit a Service Request ticket.

Good luck all.

Karl

quote:

Update:

Although the f/w 5S0F won't provide additional performance benefit (as proven by OC-Freak), I still decided to flash my non-tray-ejecting Lite-On burner hoping it will bring it back to normal working conditions when attached with the Pioneer 16X DVD. Flash went smooth. I shut down the computer and reattached the Pioneer as 2nd Master and set the Lite-On 24/10/40 as 2nd Slave. Powered back on and no sign of tray-ejection from the Lite-On. Booted into Windows just fine. Everything's fine except that the drive letters are mixed up but I changed it back to the way it was, no biggie.

I'm telling you guys, this is really strange. I certainly hope this problem won't return as it wasted half of my day messing around and experimenting. I also hope that Lite-On will increase their QC requirement as I'm not the only one with a problematic tray not closing.

In the end, it looks like I solved my tray-ejecting problem by moving the jumper on the LTR-24012B from Slave to Master. Used it as 2nd Master for a bit and powered back on again with the Lite-On set as 2nd Slave attached to my Pioneer DVD.

If this problem happens again. I'll have to revisit this thread. I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) :)

Edited by - j00k on 10/26/2001 15:58:25

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 42
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/2/2002 5:06:35 AM   
Fender

Well I fixed it. I was having the same problem as so many of you were having with the tray wanting to stay open and the like.

My mobo is of course an abit board. Abit KT7 (non-raid) to be exact.

I returned the drive to the outlet I bought it from and received a replacement of the exact same model (lite-on 24/10/40 retail box). The only difference between the two I could see was that my original drive had a sticker on it saying it was manufactured in November and my replacement was manufactured in December. Newest and same firmware included with both I believe. So I installed it just as I had the other, doing nothing different, and to my surprise it has worked perfectly since I installed it a week ago.

I'm not saying I believe that it's a manufacturing problem and that getting a replacement might fix things... I'm convinced that there certainly is a problem with abit motherboards and lite-on drives. And I would also wager in the not so distant future that I will turn on my computer some day and I will have the exact same problem all over again with this drive. Reading the posts on this forum has convinced me of that. BUT, I do believe that there is a certain combination of BIOS settings and unplugging/plugging **** in that will make this drive work with abit motherboards (at least for a period until it begans not working again).

Call me crazy but I think I know why it worked for me the second time around...if it stops working again I would go through the following process to recreate the situation where it worked for me.

1. In the BIOS set secondary master to auto-detect devices

2. Unplug lite-on drive - IDE cable and power source.

3. Reboot - BIOS will detect "nothing" on secondary master.

4. shutdown computer once in windows then reconnect drive (IDE cable and power source)

5. reboot - BIOS will auto-detect the drive and everything will be wonderful

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 43
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/2/2002 5:07:29 AM   
Fender

[deleted double post]

Edited by - Fender on 01/02/2002 05:08:47

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 44
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/3/2002 4:41:52 PM   
buggs1a

well for me i have all latest firmware and bios.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 45
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 1/6/2002 8:32:38 AM   
robo21

quote:

Hi All,

Looks like the fact that j00k did an update on the f/w for the LTR-24102B might have cured the problem. Please note that a major F/W upgrade has been posted on the LiteON site recently... you may want to check it out and flash you system with this update to see if it does the job.

A bit of information on this F/W update follows:

Revision: R245S54.zip
File Info: 396KB 2001/11/21
FIXES:
1. Reduce failure rate when burning.
2. Fit for new hardware design.
3. The firmware can fit all 24X CD-RW
(Just do It !)

The link is as follows:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english-load-firmware.htm

I just purchased this drive (RETAIL package) for $70US! Cannot beat that and all the reviews on this drive I read look great. However, the most important thing I see is that LiteON has a great support area and support updates for their product line.

I am sure there are some type of ATAPI identification / Power supply errors probably in the BIOS initialisation and Drive Closing / Media ID steps; hence a good attempt to fix this problem would be to upgrade the F/W to the latest version. Anyway, that would be the first question you would get from LiteOn's support group if you wanted to submit a Service Request ticket.

Good luck all.

Karl

quote:

Update:

Although the f/w 5S0F won't provide additional performance benefit (as proven by OC-Freak), I still decided to flash my non-tray-ejecting Lite-On burner hoping it will bring it back to normal working conditions when attached with the Pioneer 16X DVD. Flash went smooth. I shut down the computer and reattached the Pioneer as 2nd Master and set the Lite-On 24/10/40 as 2nd Slave. Powered back on and no sign of tray-ejection from the Lite-On. Booted into Windows just fine. Everything's fine except that the drive letters are mixed up but I changed it back to the way it was, no biggie.

I'm telling you guys, this is really strange. I certainly hope this problem won't return as it wasted half of my day messing around and experimenting. I also hope that Lite-On will increase their QC requirement as I'm not the only one with a problematic tray not closing.

In the end, it looks like I solved my tray-ejecting problem by moving the jumper on the LTR-24012B from Slave to Master. Used it as 2nd Master for a bit and powered back on again with the Lite-On set as 2nd Slave attached to my Pioneer DVD.

If this problem happens again. I'll have to revisit this thread. I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) :)

Edited by - j00k on 10/26/2001 15:58:25

My burner came to me with 5S54 installed, after resolving the DA cable problem, the drive would not read Safedisk V.2 nor SecuROM. It just spooled up and down and never advanced past the 0% progress mark.

The tech at Liteon USA recommended I GO BACK to an earlier firmware, specifically the 5S07 revision. When I did execute the the 'downgrade' per instructions the drive subsequently failed completely. This in spite of the fact that the software had indicated that the firmware flash was successful.

Based on my experience, the drive sucks, the support sucks and the manufacturer is unethical and should be the defendant in a large class action lawsuit.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 46
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/10/2002 1:01:18 PM   
rowlett

Well I have the same problem about 1 week after getting the drive. It has latest firmware and started causing trouble after I unplugged my PSU while I installed a new UPS device. Since then it has been causing problems, I have a 300W PSU that has never caused me any trouble. I have a KT7-RAID MB with latest bios.
I am going to look into various possibilities with this problem and will post my results.
Thanks for all the usefull info.

Dave

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 47
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 2/10/2002 7:43:27 PM   
nealh

I had the same problem ..even too the point where the drive failed to read or write cd and tray opening problem..on abit kr7a-raid...plex/acer cdrw no problems....
the "bad" drive was a Sept 2001 with original f/w 5s07..updated it too 5s54...no help...

got a new one.."good" drive..also Sept 2001 with 5s07 f/w...no problems...except after reading it will eject cd and pull it right back in..hit eject secondtime and ejects..I think this is related to via 3.14 miniport drivers and dma(on pio mode 4 this went away when i tried it once)...since new drive..I have updated the bios on mobo, removed cdr and placed dvd ..with no problems...

interestingly the setup on ide channels were same for both the bad and good liteon
ide 1..tosh 48x crom
ide2..liteon 24102b
ide 3..maxtor 40 gb hdd
ide4.. maxtor 30 gb hdd

all master ...ide3/4 are on the hpt 372 controller as ata133/100

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI