CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 486 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 3:56:39 PM   
j00k

Update:

Although the f/w 5S0F won't provide additional performance benefit (as proven by OC-Freak), I still decided to flash my non-tray-ejecting Lite-On burner hoping it will bring it back to normal working conditions when attached with the Pioneer 16X DVD. Flash went smooth. I shut down the computer and reattached the Pioneer as 2nd Master and set the Lite-On 24/10/40 as 2nd Slave. Powered back on and no sign of tray-ejection from the Lite-On. Booted into Windows just fine. Everything's fine except that the drive letters are mixed up but I changed it back to the way it was, no biggie.

I'm telling you guys, this is really strange. I certainly hope this problem won't return as it wasted half of my day messing around and experimenting. I also hope that Lite-On will increase their QC requirement as I'm not the only one with a problematic tray not closing.

In the end, it looks like I solved my tray-ejecting problem by moving the jumper on the LTR-24012B from Slave to Master. Used it as 2nd Master for a bit and powered back on again with the Lite-On set as 2nd Slave attached to my Pioneer DVD.

If this problem happens again. I'll have to revisit this thread. I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) :)

Edited by - j00k on 10/26/2001 15:58:25

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 17
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/31/2001 5:43:58 PM   
pmcx9

I think we can conclude from many threads around that both the 16 and 24 speed liteons are 'sensitive' to power. I can't believe that both the enermax 350w and macron 300w PSU's I have are giving dirty power. But both my rigs are on ABIT mobos; kt7a and kg7-L

So are all problems only on ABIT mobos'?

Once again the fix that works for me is to power down - remove ide cable - power up - power down -reinsert ide cable - power up

And don't unplug PSU as this 'irritates' the Liteons

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 18
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/31/2001 8:41:24 PM   
HeXiDeciMaL

You can test if its your PSU's fault by turning off your PSU and turning it back on, I bet the LiteOn will start spitting out itz tray again.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 19
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 11/1/2001 2:10:51 AM   
OC-Freak

I've seen this problem a few times with both 16X and 24X lite-ons. All times it have been with those crap abit boards(I've never had an 100% working abit board ).

But it's normally fixed like pmcx9 said, or by moving the drive from master to slave positions disconnecting other drives on the same cable and things like that.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 20
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 11/1/2001 3:34:37 PM   
taylang

i had the same problem, the problem is not belong to softwares or mainboard i think, open the case and change the power supply's cord, it works with my computer:)

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 21
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 11/4/2001 10:22:18 PM   
Grinch

I encountered this problem just now after using the drive for a month or so without any problems. I'm about to update my firmware from 5s07 to 5s0F and if that doesn't work I'll try some of the many other things that have been posted here. I just wanted to put my two cents in wrt some of the stuff that's flying around here.

OC-Freak's Abit hating doesn't constitute a point. This is not an Abit problem for the simple reason that it has been reported on this forum by people using various Abit models and even boards by different manufacturers entirely! Besides, I've had my BH6 for years now and have totally maxed it without incident.

I also disagree with HeXiDeciMaL's claim that this is a power supply problem as it has been reported by people using some very nice power supplies.

So what's causing this? From where I'm sitting it looks like an engineering problem with AOpen's drive. Some guy in Taiwan got a little too clever with how some component uses power or misread a sentence in a specification or one of a million other minor errors that we'll never know about unless AOpen tells us.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 22
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 11/19/2001 4:23:14 PM   
michaelvleugel

Just as all you guys, I've spent a few hours trying to figure this problem out - everytime I wish I had bought another drive....very stressfull.

The tray problem happens only after I change my HDD setup, put in another drive or something. Then here's my trick: leave your computer turned OFF for about 15 minutes THEN startup. This has worked every time for me. WHATEVER I try to fix the problem - ANYthing that leaves the power plugged in DOESN'T work for me.

Hopes this helps someone.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 23
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 11/19/2001 4:27:41 PM   
michaelvleugel

and oh yeah - I do have an Abit board, but I really like it and never ever had a problem with it (BF6 BX440)

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 24
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/2/2001 11:29:05 PM   
DentyCracker

I just posted the following at http://forums.matroxusers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30103

"Abit KT7 incompatible with LiteOn LTR-24102B

Based upon my experience so far I would have to say yes. It doesn't work. It is detected as LTR-24102B in the BIOS as a ATA33 device . It cannot be booted from or discs read from it, much less to write (I actually didn't try to). It works in my work machine so I doubt there is anything physically wrong with the drive. It the KT7 machine I also notice that it blinks excessively whenever a disc is put in. Oh well the plextor 8X goes back in for now. It seems that it is time to upgrade my mobo (Suggestions please, but I'd likke to keep me SDRAM, esp as I just got 256 more)"

I love my KT7, it's never given any real showstopping problems until now. I have an Inwin Q500 case with a 300W power supply. I have my Duron running at 700 (it's a 700 but I normally have it going at 850). It doesn't matter where I put the drive it cannot be booted from. Even as the primary master and the only IDE device connected! I have a Globalwin WBK38 HSF which has a Delta 38cfm fan on it which is power hungry but that and the burner shouldn't be too much.

---------------

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 25
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/3/2001 12:16:03 AM   
j00k

DentyCracker,

this is going to be a bit off topic but oh well, here goes...If you want a different motherboard but would also like to keep those SDRAM of yours, your only option for an excellent performing solution is a mobo powered by the SiS735 chipset. Currently, ECS is the only manufacturer that I know of which makes a board with the SiS chip. You'll be able to use your SDRAM w/o sacrificing your current performance. It also accepts DDR memory so when the time comes for you, you can upgrade to those. One drawback of this board is that it does NOT support overclocking but at US$60 a pop. you can't really ask for more.

I didn't recommend any motherboards powered by AMD760 or VIA KT266A because both of those do NOT support SDRAM. I didn't recommend a KT133A board because at this point in time, you really shouldn't be paying money for an SDRAM only solution. DDR has matured and should be adopted by all who are thinking of upgrading.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 26
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/3/2001 2:53:48 AM   
DentyCracker

I think I shall try to run the LTR-24102B on a separate PSU. If that doesn't help then I'm going to try to sell it to the company I work for as it works fine in my work machine. A new mobo would have to be KT133A as I can't afford a new mobo and memory at this time. My next planned upgrade was for next February (Tyan Tiger MP and 2 1.4GHz MPs)

---------------

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 27
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/3/2001 8:06:42 AM   
DentyCracker

The problem is definitely a power supply problem. no doubt in my mind. I have the burner as the only device connected to a separate PSU and it works fine.

---------------

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 28
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/3/2001 11:53:03 PM   
JimC

Here's another thing to try. I had the same problem and tried all of the solutions found in this forum, as well as Lite-on's forum without success.

Using another computer connect the drive to power & IDE cable and turn the computer on and off briefly. Then re-install it in the computer you want to use. This worked for me.

I suspect that due to the wide variety of things that seem to work for others, the problem is probably a design problem (power related is my guess--but thats just a guess).
GoodLuck

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 29
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/27/2001 8:36:42 PM   
brad3378

I also have a 24/10/40x liteOn drive.
Also running on an ABIT mo.bo. (BP6 w/ dual 533 celerons)
same thing - It worked fine about a month, then started ejecting disks for no reason.

My "Solution" :
I unplugged a bunch of my IDE devices,
Rebooted,
Shutdown,
re-plugged my IDE device power cables,
and rebooted.

It appears that maybe I do have some weird power supply problem,
that somehow reset itself to its original state.

Best of luck to everybody else w/ the same strange problem!
Why this worked for me is anybody's guess!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 30
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/28/2001 10:08:35 AM   
brad3378

Bummer!
my problem came back!

But I was able to get rid of it again by unplugging some power cables.
It still appears to be a power supply problem.

I have to admit, I am slightly skeptical. Someone earlier suggested that we may have "dirty power" with voltage spikes or something like that. Maybe "dirty power" happens when the power supply reaches its capacity.

Here's what I've got plugged into my 300 watt PS:

IDE devices:
two 45 gig WD hard drives,
one zip drive
one CD-ROM
one LiteOn 24/10/40 burner
(yes, 5 IDE devices total; The abit bp6 board allows eight)

Non IDE devices:
two 3 inch case fans,
and a removable hard-drive bay (which has it's own fan)

The 1 inch fan for the removable hard drive bay has been making a lot of noise lately. I haven't isolated the problem to the pullout tray yet because the hard-drive in that bay is a slave to the (master) LiteON burner! I'm speculated that maybe the noisy fan has a mechanical problem causing a sinosodal voltage draw.

Right now, My old CD-ROM, my two case fans, and my removable hard-drive bay are unplugged and the problem is gone.
300 watt power supplies are relatively expensive, so I may consider putting a capacitor in the circuit to "clean" the supply voltage.

For now I'm going to just leave my stuff unplugged.
Thanks for the great suggestions!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 31
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 12/28/2001 11:21:20 AM   
fellaw

Hey guys, I haven't experienced any of those problems with my system config:

Abit KT7-RAID, Bios Version UL(maybe cause 1), 1GHz TB
512 MB noname PC133@100 MHz(maybe cause 2)
Seagate ST320423A as PM in a bay
Pioneer 16x/40x as PS
Seagate ST340823A as SM in a bay
LiteOn 24x as SS
250W(!!) noname PSU(maybe cause 3)

I'm running my liteon with 5S07 for more than 3 months now and
don't have any problems like posted here.
I only got 1 prob with the default ide drivers of all windows versions, but I was able to override that with the VIA 3.0.1.4 miniport IDE drivers.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI