CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 460 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 5:28:09 AM   
j00k

I've had my burner for 3 weeks now and it has been working flawlessly. But suddenly tonight when I booted my computer up, I noticed the LiteON burner ejected the tray out immediately. I pressed the button and it spit the tray out again. This continued on and on. I've already checked the IDE cable to make sure everythings connected okay and that there weren't any bent pins. Boot up again and the tray still want to stay ejected.

I highly doubt it's a Windows problem since this would occur on boot up. I also need to add that I'm not able to flash to a newer firmware (I'm currently using 5S0D) since I was hoping that would fix that problem. Updating the firmware requires the tray to be closed, which is not happening with my burner.

Anyone know what's going on? I sincerely hope this LiteON burner doesn't have any major problems....I'm beginning to think that this is what I get for not shelling out the extra $ and going with a Plextor.

Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 5:55:18 AM   
bofh

thats a dead burner ;( i've seen various burners and cdroms of all makes do that. Go get it swapped out with a new one from your vendor.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 2
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 7:00:31 AM   
OC-Freak

Try this:

1: switch your computer off with the tray open, unplug the IDE cable, start your system, close the tray, switch off your computer with the tray closed. Plug the IDE cable in again. Se if that helps.
2: Try to put it in different settings, master and slave.
3: make sure you have the newest bios for your mainboard......do you have an abit mainboard? I've seen this error some times on those ****ty abit boards.
4: go into the computers bios and reset everything(load setup default or something like that).
5: try it in another computer.
6:....ehm um?...well...eh?......this is strange.....it may be defektive......try to jump around your computer on one foot while making funny sounds, that will definitively help...

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 3
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 8:47:46 AM   
someoneoknow

No man, at the moment I have a plex 24x and I'm trying to get rid of it. Devices of all makes come defective once in awhile and plextor is no exception.
If you live in the Europe I'd say hell go get a plextor, since it has 2 years warranty over there.

But if you live in the good ol' Canada like me and only get a 1 year warranty I doubt the extra 200 bucks that I payed was worth it. Even if its for 2mbs more of buffer memory and a cute fan at the back.

I got my plex when it just came out and I seriously think I overpayed for that thing. Anyways I got my bro to get rid of it for me and I'm buying a Liteon for $200 Canadian less! YIPEE!!!!

Nothing wrong with my plex, got my bro to get rid of it for me @ the same price so no losses, just wins both ways

Edited by - someoneoknow on 10/27/2001 20:43:49

Edited by - someoneoknow on 10/27/2001 20:45:23

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 4
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 9:24:19 AM   
arklab

someoneoknow;

no, No, NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

Point one: You're still under warantee!!! Just get it FIXED!
I bought a Lite-On; I am a BIG Lite-On fan; I think Lite-On is the better buy; BUT Plextor IS THE BETTER DRIVE (just not worth THAT much extra), and you already paid the extra money! Just get it fixed. IT'S FREE!!!

Point two: Everybody gets reemed when they buy early. My Lite-On is now over $50 cheeper. Lets face it, bragging right are costly.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 5
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 10:20:50 AM   
courghan

Well i had the exact same problem and here it si how i fixed it:

while your pc is turned off, looka at the back of your burner: there are a set of 3 undocumented jumpers just aside the audio connector.
Short the last bottom two horizzontally. Turn on your pc for a few seconds, turn it off again and remove the jumper. At this stage my 24102B camne back to life. Looking from the back of the CDRW, short BB:

A A A Audio
B B A Conn.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 6
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 12:14:46 PM   
j00k

Thanks everyone for all your inputs, I knew I can find some knowledgeable people at CDRinfo!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 7
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 12:17:11 PM   
j00k

quote:

Try this:

1: switch your computer off with the tray open, unplug the IDE cable, start your system, close the tray, switch off your computer with the tray closed. Plug the IDE cable in again. Se if that helps.
2: Try to put it in different settings, master and slave.
3: make sure you have the newest bios for your mainboard......do you have an abit mainboard? I've seen this error some times on those ****ty abit boards.
4: go into the computers bios and reset everything(load setup default or something like that).
5: try it in another computer.
6:....ehm um?...well...eh?......this is strange.....it may be defektive......try to jump around your computer on one foot while making funny sounds, that will definitively help...

You're right, I am running an Abit board though I've already had this board for a several months now and it never gave my old Plextor 8/4/32 any trouble. I'm running the newest BIOS for my board too.

I will try your suugestion though, thanks!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 8
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 12:21:22 PM   
j00k

quote:

Well i had the exact same problem and here it si how i fixed it:

while your pc is turned off, looka at the back of your burner: there are a set of 3 undocumented jumpers just aside the audio connector.
Short the last bottom two horizzontally. Turn on your pc for a few seconds, turn it off again and remove the jumper. At this stage my 24102B camne back to life. Looking from the back of the CDRW, short BB:

A A A Audio
B B A Conn.

The 3 set you're referring to, are they on the far left side of the burner when you're looking at it from the back? If so, I do see 3 set of jumpers though I don't have additional caps to short it, I will use the one used for master/slave selection to do this. Wish me luck!

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 9
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 12:39:55 PM   
j00k

courghan,

I tried your suggestion and used the cap for the master/slave jumpers and placed it on 2 bottom left of the 6 pins. I powered the computer on and I noticed the tray stayed close but was unable to eject the tray even after pressing the button. I then turned off the computer and removied the jumper to its original position. Powered back on and the tray still won't close.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong compared to what you did to bring your CDRW back to life?

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 10
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 1:39:43 PM   
HeXiDeciMaL

There is NOTHING wrong with the driver, its your powersupply.

Read this:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=413

I've tested this issue over and over again, if your powersupply is giving dirty power, the LiteOn will keep ejecting its tray. Get a new powersupply

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 11
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 1:41:25 PM   
HeXiDeciMaL

Anyone who "claims" to have a solution is wrong. If you turn off your powersupply and turn it back on again, your drive will start ejecting again, your "solutions" don't work because its the powersupply's fault.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 12
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 2:15:44 PM   
j00k

Is there anyone else who can confirm that it's the PSU that's causing the problem? I've been using an Antec 300W PSU (AMD certified) for long time now nad it would really be awkward to have it cause problems now. The fluctuation you mentioned about the CPU core voltage is quite "normal". I set mine at 1.77v and BIOS shows 1.85 and sometimes 1.87. The higher voltage seems normal on a lot of AMD setups I've seen, probably has something to do with the VIA chipset.

In any case, here's my setup, not sure if this will aide in solving the problem.

WinXP Pro
AMD 1GHz @1177MHz
Abit KT7E
512MB PC133
Primary Master: IBM 60GXP 41GB
Secondary Master: Pioneer 16X DVD
Secondary Slave: Lite-ON 24/10/40
Gainward GF3
SBLive Value
Kingston 10/100 NIC
Generic 56K modem

Edited by - j00k on 10/26/2001 14:18:29

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 13
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 3:01:48 PM   
j00k

Ok guys, this is really really weird. I disconnected the Pioneer 16X DVD (which btw works fine as 2nd Master) and only connect the Lite-On burner and I set the jumper to Master. Booted up and the tray didn't spit out anymore. Went into Windows and it's working just fine. WTF? I might have to set the Lite-On as the 2nd Master and the Pioneer DVD as slave. I will do more experimenting and return with results.

It really looks like these Lite-On burners are not as reliable as my old Plextor.

EDIT: I am now burning just fine with the Lite-On connected by itself as the 2nd Master.

Edited by - j00k on 10/26/2001 15:09:57

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 14
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 3:09:05 PM   
netman

that doesn't necessarily rule out a power supply problem. the problem may be with having the pioneer and liteon connected at the same time rather than slave and master status. another possibility is that the controller on the pioneer is screwed up, not properly operating the liteon.

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 15
RE: Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 - 10/26/2001 3:13:33 PM   
j00k

quote:

that doesn't necessarily rule out a power supply problem. the problem may be with having the pioneer and liteon connected at the same time rather than slave and master status. another possibility is that the controller on the pioneer is screwed up, not properly operating the liteon.

I've already tried connecting the Pioneer by itself on the Secondary IDE channel and it operates just fine by itself. The Lite-On will still spit the tray out if I set it to Slave even though it's also the only drive connected to the 2nd IDE. But when I set the Lite-On to Master (as I'm doing now) on the 2nd IDE, it works just fine.

Do you think the above problem is caused by a faulty PSU?

(in reply to j00k)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Weird problem w/LiteON 24/10/40 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI