CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

U3 compatible USB disks released !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 794 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> U3 compatible USB disks released ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
U3 compatible USB disks released ! - 9/20/2005 10:52:06 AM   
T3TRISizer

Kingston and SanDisk both announced U3 compatible memory sticks.

To explain. U3 is basically a profile on the go standard for putting your life, specs and settings on the stick itself, and carrying it around with you. Plug it into any computer, and you are "off and running" just where you left off on the last PC you plugged in to.

I would love to go into more detail about the "functionality", but the U3 site has a 'coming soon' page where the interesting stuff should be, but it helpfully tells you to come back three hours before the writing of this document for more info. Hmmmm.....

What little I can glean from the manufacturing press releases states that it is roughly similar to the Kingston Migo, but perhaps a tad more capable. Since it is "cross vendor", and has other program support, it looks like it might have a much broader appeal. Since it only supports that security vulnerability masquerading as a mail program Outlook, it is about as useful to me as a third nipple. Wake me when it supports Thunderbird, people.

That said, the memory sticks are real, and should be in shops around the middle of October. The Kingston U3 DataTraveler is $42 for the 512MB version and $80 for the 1GB. SanDisk Cruzer Micro smart drives with U3 technology will run at $55 for the 512MB and $100 for the 1GB. There are other manufacturers listed by U3 also. Therefore, expect more vendors to jump in with more sizes, colours and prices soon enough.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> U3 compatible USB disks released ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI