CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1161 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem - 10/27/2003 10:17:59 AM   
Leo1016

Well, this is the second time I've posted here and the previous post ended up with good results. Hopefully, this one will too.

Anyways, I've had this drive for about..1.5 years now. And it seems that when I press the eject button, it comes out, but mid way it slows down. Now, when I hit the eject button for the tray to go back into the slot..it does the same thing, slows down half way goin in. But, thats not it. Since it goes too slow towards the middle, it can't completly insert the tray into the slot, so it ejects the tray back out. The only way that I can get it to "insert" correctly is to give it a little push towards the end.

My thoughts are that it doesnt have enough 'power' for it to open and close.

I really REALLY love this CD burner and since Yamaha is manufacturing anymore of them, I'd really like to get this repaired before its too late. I have the black bezel one, and its pretty hard to come by.

Any comments or suggestions would help. Thanks

-Leo
Post #: 1
RE: Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem - 10/27/2003 11:07:12 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

it sounds like the gears are a little sticky. Probably a good cleaning will fix that, but I'm not the best person to instruct you on how to do that... perhaps someone with experience in taking apart a drive and having it still work when put back together again will give you a hand.

If all else fails, try looking for the bathing solution used for cleaning electric parts. You should be able to fully emerse your drive in the stuff to clean it out (unplug it first of course). You could probably find it at office depot.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Leo1016)
Post #: 2
RE: Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem - 10/27/2003 3:31:14 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Or another way is just get hold of a can of compressed air and blow it out that sometimes works !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Leo1016)
Post #: 3
RE: Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem - 10/28/2003 12:41:11 AM   
MP3Mogul

I would first attempt what Laffin has described above.

If that fails, I have much experience in disassembling drives, cleaning them, and putting them back together.

First thing is, take the case cover off. Blow completely with compressed air (a can from your local retailer will work great), if your drive has no reading problems/writing problems, skip over cleaning the lense.

Next get a small spray can of WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. The can will come with a pinpoint spray attachment. Lubricate SPARINGLY, the gear, and the slide for the drive tray. This should eliminate the slowing down of the drive tray. It sounds as if something has become lodged in the gear, could be lint, trash, paper, open and close the drive (mechanically) and inspect it's travel, and watch the gear for small obstructions as you do so. Remove with tweasers any foreign object that you can visualise. If you do not feel comfortable with spraying the lithium grease (it is very poisonious) simply use a cuetip with a small dab of petroleum jelly, this will work just as well, it just does not last as long.

Last, post back and let us know how it works out.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Leo1016)
Post #: 4
RE: Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem - 11/13/2003 11:19:46 AM   
anthaneezy

I wouldn't suggest using compressed air. The air may force dust particles underneath a lens and you will have more problems on your hands.

Your best bet would to take off the outer casing and inspect the gears. Also inspect where the tray comes in contact with the bay. See if there is any debris. I would suggest alcohol and "Q-Tips."

You may also want to consider the slow down a "feature". I have a DVD-ROM drive that jars open and shut. Sometimes it will make the disk "pop" at the end of the eject and sit on the "horizontal CD slides." I know my PS2 does something like your "slowdown", though not to the degree as your drive.

i wanna give a shoutout to leon. if it weren't for you. i wouldn't be here.

(in reply to Leo1016)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Tray Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI