CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Computer worm briefly stops production at DaimlerChrysler plants !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1163 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Computer worm briefly stops production at DaimlerChrysler plants ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer worm briefly stops production at DaimlerChrysl... - 8/20/2005 6:59:52 AM   
SiliconFreak

A computer worm temporarily halted production at 13 of DaimlerChrysler AG's U.S. plants this week, but the company says the damage was minimal and it expects to make up the lost production.

General Motors Corp. also had some minor disruptions because of the worm but didn't stop production, spokesman Dan Jankowski said Friday.

The worm was released by hackers and affected Windows 2000 operating systems. It slowed Internet connections and blocked e-mails across the country.

The worm forced Chrysler to stop work on Tuesday at plants in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Delaware and Missouri, company spokesman David Elshoff said. The work stoppage ranged from five to 50 minutes.

Elshoff said Chrysler's technology staff spotted the worm and quickly patched the companies' computers. Elshoff said the effect on production was minimized because the worm struck around 3 p.m. EDT, when some plants were changing shifts.

"I think we're coming out of the woods now. We certainly have been on top of the situation since Tuesday," Elshoff said. "Computer security in this day and age is really, really critical to big companies."

Elshoff said Chrysler lost some production time but doesn't have a specific number of vehicles that were affected. He also said some auto suppliers were affected by the worm, but Chrysler hasn't seen any disruption in the supply of parts to its plants.

Jankowski said GM took action quickly and suffered only minor disruptions.

Ford Motor Co. also said the impact was minimal, but wouldn't say whether it affected production. Spokeswoman Valerie Rosnick said Ford typically doesn't comment on production for safety reasons.

DaimlerChrysler shares were up $1.38 to close at $51.14 Friday on the New York Stock Exchange. GM shares were down 7 cents to $33.51 and Ford shares closed unchanged at $9.76.

Source : DetNews
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Computer worm briefly stops production at DaimlerChrysler plants ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI