CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1230 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says - 8/19/2005 5:41:39 PM   
sp_admin

A genetics researcher yesterday added her voice to claims that a mythical island of origin known to a number of Polynesian ethnic groups as "Hawaiki" could be referring to Taiwan.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs-backed seminar invited local and overseas reporters to attend in an apparent attempt to distinguish Taiwan's indigenous heritage from China.

Mackay Memorial Hospital researcher Lin Ma-li said that "Australia's Aboriginal Maori people" believe that their ancestors came from a place known as "Hawaiki." She said that correspondence between the DNA of indigenous peoples in the South Pacific and Hawaii suggested that Taiwan might be that place, given their purported common origin.

Maori are in fact the indigenous people of New Zealand, and Australia's Aborigines are not ethnically related to the Maori.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Mark Chen also attended the meeting.

It was not clear what fresh political purpose the genetic evidence might serve, given that a number of researchers in anthropology, archeology and linguistics have argued for close to two decades that Taiwan was the dispersal point for seafarers who migrated throughout the Pacific and as far west as Madagascar.

Attachment (1)

WM # CdrInfo.com Team
Post #: 1
RE: Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says - 8/22/2005 6:45:04 AM   
WinThusiast

Very interesting news, sp!

So, now, Polynesians need to claim Hawaiki-Taiwan back....and China will be empty handed...hahahahaha... ( at least I am 100% sure that if....i.e...someone proved without a doubt, that Taiwan was a part of some ancient American islands....Bush would surely send troops right away to claim it back no matter what....btw....whats the oil price today?...need to sell few barrels....)

(in reply to sp_admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says - 8/30/2005 12:29:46 PM   
sp

Over 70 USD today!

WM # CI

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> Taiwan could be mythical 'Hawaiki' a researcher says Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI