CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2.6 million Internet user track Shuttle Mission !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1363 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> 2.6 million Internet user track Shuttle Mission ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2.6 million Internet user track Shuttle Mission ! - 8/19/2005 1:39:54 AM   
SiliconFreak

Interest in NASA's flight of the Space Shuttle Discovery and STS-114 may have generated one of the largest live Web events in the history of the Internet. Tracking records for www.nasa.gov show more than 2.6 million visitors tuned into coverage at some point during the highly successful two-week mission.

Internet users simultaneously watched approximately 435,000 webcast streams of NASA Television during the launch and nearly 400,000 during the Shuttle's landing on August 9.

NASA's webcasts nearly quadrupled an agency record set in July during Deep Impact's encounter with Comet Tempel 1. During that mission, NASA sent out 118,000 webcast streams on July 4. In January 2004, the agency transmitted just under 50,000 streams for the Mars Exploration Rover landings.

Public interest wasn’t just limited to streamed media events, During the launch NASA Portal Web traffic reached a new NASA Portal record of 200,000 pages per minute, with landing-related traffic close behind at 150,000 pages per minute. To put this into perspective, the new peak represents an equivalent rate of 9 billion page views per month.

For Discovery's launch, NASA's Return to Flight Web delivery sponsors, Yahoo! and Akamai, were sending data at a rate of more than 45 gigabits per second. During the entire Space Shuttle Discovery mission, 600 terabytes of information that would fill 120,000 DVDs, was delivered to the public.

Source : TechnologyNewsDaily
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Science and Tech >> 2.6 million Internet user track Shuttle Mission ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI