CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 837 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 11/18/2003 10:53:30 PM   
cvic

Hmm, I downloaded and run Smart-Burn and it says my Memorex cd's are CMC...

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 17
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 11/19/2003 1:08:06 AM   
cvic

My Nero CD Quality Check results with CMC Memorex cd burned with LiteOn 40/12/48 at 24x :

DISC ONE

C1 Errors
Total: 10831
Max: 23
Average: 2,84

C2 Errors
Total: 105
Max: 105
Average: 0,03

DISC TWO

C1 Errors
Total: 18368
Max: 31
Average: 4,95

C2 Errors
Total: 64
Max: 64
Average: 0,02

Comments?

What does these "C1" & "C2" errors actually mean? I mean, there is no problems reading these discs...

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 18
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 11/19/2003 5:35:27 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Your discs look fine to me

Normally you want a low C1 error rate, and zero C2 errors. In your case it's a little bit different since your drive (the same as mine) has a little glitch in it. Whenever you read the CD at the highest speed, you will see a C2 error spike, even though it really isn't there. So in this case, ignore the C2 errors (since I can tell it was a single spike of them) and just go with the C1 error rate. Your C1 error rate is fine

I should warn you though that CMC CD-R degrade very quickly, especially in less then ideal living conditions.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 19
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 11/28/2003 7:22:43 AM   
cvic

I see...

When should I care about the C1 & C2 error rates? If the error rates are 5 times higher than my rates, would there be problems reading the cd?

Do you think I should go with TDK instead of Memorex?

But anyway, should we really care this much about cdr media?
Because I mean, when we all buy a dvd recorder, we are gonna move all our cd data to dvd media...
We're not gonna use these cd-r's for 10 or 100 years :)
We should care about dvd media instead of cdr media :)

(Sorry about my poor english)

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 20
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 11/28/2003 7:52:41 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Personally, I like to keep the C1 error rate average below 2.00, and the C2 error rate at 0.00. Generally speaking, the C1 error rate should never have higher spikes then 50. C2 should always be 0 if you want your data to remain intact (single spikes of mis-information aside). Of course, C2 errors don't neccessarily mean that your data is corrupt, but they are a sure sign of degredation of the CD-R, and the more C2 errors you have, the more likely some drives will not be able to read all the data on your disc. And yes, I think some of us will still be wanting the content of our CD discs 10 years from now. Some people still use Vinyl... heck I work for a company that still helps people do vinyl mouldings and replication... of course I think we've had only maybe a dozen orders or less this year, but STILL!

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 21
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 12/9/2003 7:12:53 PM   
cross56

Personaly if you have any errors is not good. Its really important to have no errors when writing music. In my opinion throw away any burner that isn't 52X. I've had the 24X Liteon 24102B and it was good but still produced errors. I had the Liteon 48245W and it really sucked. It would only play half the music cds I burned at 48x. I had an Asus 5224J and it was really good with music, not one bad music disk at full 52X but the drive only lasted 3 months. Probably just a bad drive. Asus always makes good hardware. Now I have a Liteon 523252. Best darn burner i've ever owned. It realy loves cheap CMC media. My 52X Liteon loves CMC media. It hardly ever gets errors. Even when burning music at 52X it plays in every cd player i've tried them in. I'll never buy anything but a Liteon Product ever. I always buy Imation media which is usually CMC media and my Liteon seems to love them. I very rarely get any errors at all. The only testing I do is Nero CD Speed for surface errors, file errors and cd quality test. And the music cds I also try in my 4 home cd and DVD players. Other than the CMC media, i'm not sure what other media is good for Liteons. I buy the Imation cdr's on sale and I buy them in bulk of 100. I hope that helps.

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 22
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/8/2004 6:30:50 AM   
cvic

Oh my god...

I bought these TDK CD-R80 Metallic discs

I've just completed a data cd burning procedure @ 24 %:

C1 Errors: average: 32,20
C2 Errors: average: 1,73

I thought TDK was a very good brand?? :(

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 23
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/8/2004 6:38:20 AM   
cvic

What the heck?

I checked with Nero Speed one more time, and this time I got these results:

C1 Errors: average 4,25
No C2 Errors

Then I checked even one more time:
C1 Errors: average 4,03
No C2 Errors

Questions: WHY did I get those high error rates the first time? And WHY don't you always get the same results? Ie. 4,25 vs. 4,03 on the same disc checked... And WHY do I get around the same results as with CMC media? :)

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 24
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/22/2004 9:53:02 PM   
jason4k

I would say try CDDoctor or Kprobe for c1/c2 testing... in my experience, nero speed doesn't give very accurate info.

quote:
Originally posted by cvic

What the heck?

I checked with Nero Speed one more time, and this time I got these results:

C1 Errors: average 4,25
No C2 Errors

Then I checked even one more time:
C1 Errors: average 4,03
No C2 Errors

Questions: WHY did I get those high error rates the first time? And WHY don't you always get the same results? Ie. 4,25 vs. 4,03 on the same disc checked... And WHY do I get around the same results as with CMC media? :)

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 25
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/27/2004 7:31:24 AM   
nftyw

My Lite-On burner, a LTR-48246S, has had some trouble with the Ritek made TDKs. They burn fine until the last third of the disk, then start getting a fair amount of C1 errors around the 50 mark. This is at maximum speed using Cd Doctor. If I slow down the testing speed to 12x or so, it reads much better.

Strangely, the Memorex branded Prodiscs that I have burn perfectly at full speed and can be read at full speed with very low error rates -- well under 5 average, I believe. Still, I don't burn too much CD-Rs, so I'm not going to worry too much, it's just that I expected more out of the TDKs myself due to the Dolphin's review. Speaking of whom, where is he lately? He hasn't updated in like a month... hope that he and his computer are ok [xx(]

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 26
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/27/2004 4:30:33 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, they weren't the TDK black discs were they?

I haven't actually tested the Ritek made TDKs yet, although generally the media sold to TDK by both Ritek and CMC is supposed to be their higher quality stuff... hrm. It's entirely possible you just got a bad batch though. I've run into a few situations like that which have thrown off my opinions on media until I get more samples, which is a huge waste of time! Also, if the disc is damaged at all, it can spike in that area, I've had this happen too.

As for my webpage... eek! you caught me! I'm working on a new review right now, it is finished the testing phase, and into the writing/coding phase, so expect it to appear hopefully this Friday if you're lucky... maybe this Sunday if you aren't.

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 27
RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? - 1/28/2004 11:06:26 AM   
nftyw

Nope, they were the very same ones that was listed as being the same as the Ritek non-labeled CD-R, I think. There was a picture of a TDK CD-R that was the same as the tested Ritek CD-R supposedly over on your website, and it matches the look of my TDKs perfectly. The cakebox had the same packaging too. I guess with CD-Rs you can never be certain. But for now, unless I start burning lots and lots of stuff to CD I won't worry about it too much :)

(in reply to markanini)
Post #: 28
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Good media for Lite-on CD-RW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI