CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Virus writers moving faster with attacks !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 748 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Virus writers moving faster with attacks ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Virus writers moving faster with attacks ! - 8/17/2005 7:24:11 PM   
SiliconFreak

Media companies and other corporations hit by a wave of computer viruses this week said business was back to normal on Wednesday, but analysts warned the attacks showed hackers have gained a dangerous advantage in speed in the battle over network security.

ABC news writers resorted to typewriters to prepare copy for the "World News Tonight" broadcast on Tuesday, as the network and other media companies, including The New York Times, reported disruptions. CNN broke into programming with descriptions of its problems.

"Our systems are now working and our Web site is updated," said Jeffrey Schneider, a spokesman at ABC.

Although damage was seen limited to several thousand computers, security analysts said the events showed malicious code writers are accelerating the development of viruses as soon as weaknesses become apparent.
"These guys have gotten a lot faster ... they are doing it faster than managers can keep up with," said F-Secure virus researcher Ero Carrera.

That sets up a race between technology managers who must update their systems and virus writers aiming to exploit holes before they are "patched" to fix a vulnerability.

Vincent Gullotto, vice president of the anti-virus emergency response team at McAfee Inc., estimated that thousands of machines were affected by viruses in recent days, including two called "IRCBOT.WORM" and "RBOT.CBQ."

The viruses exploited recently discovered flaws in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows 2000 operating system, causing thousands of personal computers to restart repeatedly.

The viruses also potentially exposed computers to attackers who could take control of a system, launch future virus attacks and potentially glean personal data without a user's knowledge.

Symantec Corp. put the threat of the medley of viruses at an "elevated threat" of "2" on a scale where "4" is the most severe virus-threat level, according to Alfred Huger, Symantec's senior director of engineering.

Full story...

Source: Reuters
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Virus writers moving faster with attacks ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI