CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yahoo! to take on Skype with new VoIP service ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1133 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Yahoo! to take on Skype with new VoIP service ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yahoo! to take on Skype with new VoIP service ? - 8/17/2005 4:10:31 AM   
SiliconFreak

The battle for the consumer voice over IP (VoIP) market is heating up, with one analyst predicting Yahoo! will launch a new internet telephony service within the next two weeks.

Safa Rashtchy, internet analyst with Piper Jaffray, said in a research note that the new service with be similar to the popular VoIP application Skype, which uses peer-to-peer technology and allows calls between PCs and standard telephones.

Rashtchy expects Yahoo! to launch a basic service with advertising and "potentially" a paid-for premium service as well.

"VoIP is fast becoming the 'killer app' of the internet and this move should push Yahoo! ahead of its competitors," he wrote in the research note.

Yahoo! already offers PC-to-PC VoIP calls via its instant-messaging client and, after the acquisition of internet telephony services company Dialpad in June, the launch of a new service would not surprise some industry observers.

James Enck, European telecom analyst at Daiwa Securities, told silicon.com: "We've seen this one coming for some time and it's not at all surprising."

Skype is currently the number one consumer VoIP application, according to recent figures, and boasts more than 30 million registered users.

A new Yahoo! service could certainly step up the competition but Skype appeared calm about the rumours. A company spokesperson told silicon.com: "We don't look at what other companies are doing. Our core DNA is listening to our user base and innovating according to their demands."

Daiwa Securities' Enck admits a new Yahoo! VoIP offering would put some pressure on Skype - but also sees broader repercussions for the telecoms industry. "I would say that the implications are most direct for Skype, given its positioning. However, this is yet another source of pressure and potential disintermediation for the incumbent players in voice," he said.

Source : Silicon.com
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Yahoo! to take on Skype with new VoIP service ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI