CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

ZoTob Worm Attacks New Windows Vulnerabilities !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 968 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> ZoTob Worm Attacks New Windows Vulnerabilities ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ZoTob Worm Attacks New Windows Vulnerabilities ! - 8/15/2005 8:54:19 PM   
SiliconFreak

Mikko Hyppönen, director of antivirus research for F-Secure, wrote that the new worm is based on MyTob, a mass-mailing worm that opens a back door and lowers security settings on compromised machines.

Finish antivirus firm F-Secure found a new worm on Sunday that attacks the Windows Plug-N-Play vulnerability that Microsoft patched last Tuesday. The security firm's researchers said the worm, which they named ZoTob, poses the biggest risk to users running Windows 2000.

Industry researchers began seeing exploit code for the critical Microsoft vulnerability showing up on various hacking Web sites on Friday. According to F-Secure's Web site, Zotob began spreading as early 7:30 a.m. EST Sunday morning.

Mikko Hyppönen, director of antivirus research for F-Secure, wrote that the new worm is based on MyTob, a mass-mailing virus that opens a back door and lowers security settings on compromised machines.

Hyppönen noted that the ZoTob worm might be using exploit code published by a researcher known as "houseofdabus" four days ago. ZoTob is the first major self-propagating program since the Sasser worm -- which began spreading April 30, 2004 -- to target a Microsoft Windows vulnerability.

F-Secure researchers also announced their discovery of two variants of the ZoTob worm. Each one gives hackers access to unpatched computers and shares several similarities with the earlier MyTob worm.

Full story...

Source : TopTechNews
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> ZoTob Worm Attacks New Windows Vulnerabilities ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI