CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1545 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/11/2005 8:31:13 AM   
MP3Mogul

NEC places orders of 200k-300k 16x DVD burners from LiteOn Posted by Seán Byrne on 11 August 2005 - 00:13

While NEC is well known for their high quality drives, apparently they have decided to start sourcing between 200k to 300k OEM 16x DVD burners from Lite-On IT.  Lite-On will start shipping the drives from the beginning of the next quarter and expects to ship this quantity each month there after according to sources.  NEC plans to start producing OEM slim-line DVD burners (such as for laptops).
Currently, Hitachi-LG leads the market with an average of 2 million DVD burners shipped per month, with NEC in second place with an average of 1.5 million DVD burners per month.  However, Lite-On has only just exceeded the 1 million mark for their first time last month, although this is likely to increase with the orders from NEC.

Lite-On IT has obtained OEM orders for 16x DVD burners from NEC and will begin shipments next quarter, according to industry sources. Lite-On IT declined to comment on the report.
The orders are for half-height models, with an initial monthly delivery volume of 200,000-300,000 burners, the sources indicated. NEC is also considering OEM production of slim-type DVD burners, the sources pointed out.
NEC currently ships 1.5 million DVD burners a month on average, and its second in the market after HLDS (Hitachi-LG Data Storage), which ships 2.0 million DVD burners per month, the sources added.
Lite-On IT’s monthly shipment volume of DVD burners exceeded one million units for the first time last month, according to the company.
During the time CD burners were still popular, Lite-On was well known for its write quality, however this seems to have changed when DVD recorders started gaining popularity.  Unfortunately, some NEC fans may be upset if they find their drive to be manufactured by Lite-On, considering some CD-R/RW quality issues with a few of its burners.

I think the engineers at NEC should have PURCHASED a few LiteOn's and tested them before they made this decision.  BYE BYE NEC!!!! Will be sad to see you join the worthless ranks of LiteOn.....

From Quality, to Boat Anchor!

< Message edited by MP3Mogul -- 8/11/2005 9:04:18 AM >

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D
Post #: 1
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/11/2005 8:41:37 AM   
Iggy

Bye bye NEC...

Totally unacceptable, but this is business.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 2
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/12/2005 6:14:32 PM   
Matthew

Incredible - not sure if it means they would be rebranded Liteons (Mediatek chipset), in which case, it would also bode ill for other drives that use NEC chipsets, or would Liteon be assembling drives with NEC chipsets.

The Mediatek chipsets for DVD writers have never reached the same peak that the CD-RW ones did - do Liteon stick with them through misplaced loyalty, and Liteon customers likewise?
To be fair, since the debacle that was the 1213S, later models have improved with later firmware, and the 1673S/93S (new version of the "3S") are the best of that series so far.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 3
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/12/2005 6:30:32 PM   
MP3Mogul

I do agree, with you Matthew that they have improved, but they are not close to the competition, and liteon has basically stopped releasing firmwares on drives that are only 6 months old.  (Lots of support huh?). 

I still use a LiteOn DVD ROM because it's fantastic, but the quality of their writers has sure suffered. 

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 4
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/13/2005 12:08:42 PM   
G_IvanAwfulitch

They will be Half Drives allright. OT ..... I would like to see some body make a external enclosure for laptop burners with USB 2 and Firewire hook ups.

DVD Burning 'PuterP4 2.8 o/c 3.2
XP Pro Sp2
Albatron PX865PE PRO
6HDs_ 1TB+ total
2GB 3200DDR
MD 3500 2.FC, MD 3520 1.F3 On Firewire
Benq oem 1620 B7U9, BQ 1640
Plex 48/24/48 BU on Usb2
General use,Compaq 5000 series
BTC 1108

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/14/2005 12:23:37 PM   
MP3Mogul

The Plextor 716 is already produced this way!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to G_IvanAwfulitch)
Post #: 6
RE: NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! - 8/14/2005 4:56:58 PM   
Dartman

Well lets hope they just slam together NEC parts, rather then just making another Mediatek POS for them based on their own drives. My first really great quality fast drive was my 2500, after all the Herrie updates, even better. My 3500 is also good but right now my favorite is my 1620 and I'm still playing with the 1640 and waiting for updates.
The 811's I had were one of the most flakey drives I ever had the displeasure to try to burn with. My Sony 500a almost always worked, just not fast

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> NEC TO GET DRIVES FROM LITEON!!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI