CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Nero Express hangs   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 753 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero Express hangs Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nero Express hangs - 10/10/2003 4:22:20 AM   
grol

Hi there,

System is Win98SE. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero. I find that Nero Express loads, scans hardware ok, I select to create a data cd. When the next window appears, I click "ADD". Instead of the pop-up window appearing where I can locate files to add, Nero just hangs waiting for something (hangs) with the Add button pressed. I can leave it for 10 ten minutes or more, nothing, or I can kill the process by crtl-alt-delete.

Version is 5.5.10.42 and drive is LG 52x.

Please help.
Post #: 1
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/14/2003 8:26:33 PM   
sp

It's perhaps the time to upgrade?

WM # CI

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 2
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/15/2003 1:39:04 AM   
MP3Mogul

I agree, looks like time for an upgrade. Did you uninstall Nero, and use their "FREE" clean tool, and then reboot and do a fresh install?

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 3
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 2:15:30 AM   
grol

I have uninstalled Nero with their clean tool. I reinstalled 5.5.10.54, and then ran the Info Tool and sent the file. This guy Matthias Otto asked me to run Dependany Checker on Nero and send the resulting file. After sending the file, all these other tech support people answer the email and tell me to try installing 5.5.10.54 without even reading the thread history. Their company setup is so screwy they couldn't even find Mattias Otto's email address, so I am screwed. I have sent so many emails to Ahead Software, and I have had so many replies saying that I should consider installing 5.5.10.54!!!! Do they not even read the previous email history appended below in the emails?

The problem is also on TWO separate machines. Both running Windows 98SE and both with LG 52x cdrs. Both run all other apps fine. Because LG cd only came with Nero Express, I cannot use the full Nero Burning ROM.

I resent having to upgrade either OS or Nero, as no other problems exist for us. Using a serialz for Nero 6 is not something I wish to do for my customer.

Can anyone help here?

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 4
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 2:33:03 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Well why don't you do as Ahead Customer Support has suggested at least if you try 5.5.10.54 and if it cures the problem you know then that the Problem was in 5.5.10.42 !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 5
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 3:22:11 AM   
grol

quote:
Well why don't you do as Ahead Customer Support has suggested at least if you try 5.5.10.54 and if it cures the problem you know then that the Problem was in 5.5.10.42 !!!

Are you winding me up? I said that I have already tried 5.5.10.54. Both 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.54 exhibit the same bug.

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 6
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 3:34:56 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Me wind someone up I would never do that !!!
What I should have said was Get the Demo Version of Nero Burning and see if that makes any differences !!!
By the Way the Guys from Ahead frequently come on our Forum so I am sure they will have an answer for you because I aint got one except get rid of Windows 98 and get XP !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 7
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 3:38:05 AM   
MP3Mogul

I DEFINATELY have to agree about Win98, this is perhaps the WORST OS that MS has ever developed, full of bugs from the initial release, until it's FINAL patches/fixes. I was NEVER so glad to see WinXP come along. WinME was a TOTAL FAILURE.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 8
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/22/2003 4:04:04 AM   
grol

A summary:

Customer: CD installer for 5.5.9.9 OEM crashes. Windows Installer dies.
Support #1: Please install 5.5.10.50, and use your key.
Customer: But I don't have a key, as Nero was unable to install. It is the OEM version.
Support #1: What make cdrw is it?
Customer: LG 52x
Support #1: Here is an LG key for you.
Customer: Wrong key, Nero complains about drive not matching the key.

Fed up, customer finally installs Nero on someone elses pc, grabs the key from registry, uninstalls. In the meantime, Nero 5.5.10.54 is released. When trying to install Nero 5.5.10.54, finds that its no longer a demo version (as of this version) now that Nero 6 has been released. 5.5.10.54 update needs Nero to be installed already. Customer grumbles about being told to install something that won't install from clean system - an impossible scenario - well almost. Installing 5.5.10.42 and then upgrading to 5.5.10.54 works. However, Customer discovers bug with 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.54.

Customer: Nero 5.5.10.42 crashes, help.
Support #2: Use clean tool and install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: Done, however the problem occurs with both 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.54.
Support #2: Please use Info Tool and send file generated.
Customer: Please find attached the info file as requested.
Support #2: Please download Dependancy Walker, run with Nero and send resulting file for analysis.
Customer: Please find attached the Dependancy Walker file as requested.
Support #1: Please install 5.5.10.54
Customer: Huh? I have already done that. Support #2 wants to read my Dependancy Walker file.
Support #1: I am unable to read this file, please send it in plain text.
Customer: Huh? File is not plain text, and needs Dependancy Walker to view it. Please give file to Support #2 to analyse.
Support #1: So running Dependancy Walker did fix the problem?
Customer: Huh? Dependancy Walker generates a file for Support #2 to analyse. Please give file to Support #2.
Support #1: I don't know who Support #2 is, please install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: To anyone who can help: Here is the case history, please give file to Support #2. Don't ask me to install 5.5.10.54 as I already have.
Support #3: I am unable to find email for Support #2, please install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: $#&^Q#@(*$&*(&@#@!~!!~~~!!!!!

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 9
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/23/2003 10:27:56 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I also have no answers for you, but I know how you feel!

I think there may be certain incompatabilities that are so rare that to date Ahead has been unable to determine their deciding factors.

I also agree with Laffin Assassin, in that you should get rid of Win98SE... the only operating systems that are worse are Win95 and WinME. I suggest Win2000, but I'm sure WinXP will be adequate.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 10
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/23/2003 11:06:53 PM   
CCampbell

quote:
Originally posted by grol

A summary:

Customer: CD installer for 5.5.9.9 OEM crashes. Windows Installer dies.
Support #1: Please install 5.5.10.50, and use your key.
Customer: But I don't have a key, as Nero was unable to install. It is the OEM version.
Support #1: What make cdrw is it?
Customer: LG 52x
Support #1: Here is an LG key for you.
Customer: Wrong key, Nero complains about drive not matching the key.

Fed up, customer finally installs Nero on someone elses pc, grabs the key from registry, uninstalls. In the meantime, Nero 5.5.10.54 is released. When trying to install Nero 5.5.10.54, finds that its no longer a demo version (as of this version) now that Nero 6 has been released. 5.5.10.54 update needs Nero to be installed already. Customer grumbles about being told to install something that won't install from clean system - an impossible scenario - well almost. Installing 5.5.10.42 and then upgrading to 5.5.10.54 works. However, Customer discovers bug with 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.54.

Customer: Nero 5.5.10.42 crashes, help.
Support #2: Use clean tool and install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: Done, however the problem occurs with both 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.54.
Support #2: Please use Info Tool and send file generated.
Customer: Please find attached the info file as requested.
Support #2: Please download Dependancy Walker, run with Nero and send resulting file for analysis.
Customer: Please find attached the Dependancy Walker file as requested.
Support #1: Please install 5.5.10.54
Customer: Huh? I have already done that. Support #2 wants to read my Dependancy Walker file.
Support #1: I am unable to read this file, please send it in plain text.
Customer: Huh? File is not plain text, and needs Dependancy Walker to view it. Please give file to Support #2 to analyse.
Support #1: So running Dependancy Walker did fix the problem?
Customer: Huh? Dependancy Walker generates a file for Support #2 to analyse. Please give file to Support #2.
Support #1: I don't know who Support #2 is, please install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: To anyone who can help: Here is the case history, please give file to Support #2. Don't ask me to install 5.5.10.54 as I already have.
Support #3: I am unable to find email for Support #2, please install 5.5.10.54.
Customer: $#&^Q#@(*$&*(&@#@!~!!~~~!!!!!

Hi Grol,

Part of the problem you are having with our Tech's is that we have an office in the US, Germany, Korea, and China with a support team in each location. We have one centralized Email system, so all Emails go to one location, and then the Emails are distributed one at a time to the Tech's as needed. If the Tech responds to an Email, normally that Email will return to that Tech for future responses. However, if the Tech in question is off line for 24hrs, his 'Response Emails' will be assigned to the next available Tech. This way the customer normally works with the same Tech Rep, but at the same time if the Tech Rep is on Vacation or Sick leave, the customer is not left hanging till his or her return.

So, even though we try and avoid it, there are times when a customer can be dealing with more than one Tech Rep at a time. In some case this is good, as you can get a different view point. In others, such as in your case, this can cause confusion as these Tech's can not see who you have been dealing with, only the Email feedback. We are working to resolve this in our Email system.

But till we do, it's best to get the name of any Tech you are working with, this way you can request to have your issues forwarded to this tech so you can continue the trouble shooting process with the one tech who has the whole picture.

With that said, I have tried to duplicate your issue with 3 systems that have Widnows 98SE system. I pulled the Nero Info Tool info and the 'Dependency Walker data file' and used this to as closely as possible duplicate your system configuration. But in all instances, it works without errors.

The problem is, if we can not duplicate the issue, it makes it difficult for our Engineers to resolve. But I've created a bug report on this issue and we'll be looking into this issue deeper.

Sorry for the trouble you had with our Techs. We are in a Same to Next day response time, but still have to iron out a few issues with our New Email Distribution system.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 11
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/23/2003 11:28:55 PM   
grol

Ok Craig. Support #1 was Al Valerio from the USA. Incidentally, I still get the same seemingly computer-generated response from him every day suggesting I install 5.5.10.54. What a moron. Sorry, but he needs a heads-up. He doesn't end read the case history, before replacing with the exact same answer. The emails have the case-id in the subject, and the entire history is appended below in the email. Not exactly rocket science to give customer service.

Support #2 is Matthias, who I managed to locate by *guessing* his email. Yet again, your USA team have no links to your German counterparts, even though they answer the same email address. Anyways, Matthias seems a nice man, and is now sorting it, and I got a response from a guy called Volker (?programmer? also in Germany) who thinks some system files have been replaced by an update to both machines. This is promising, and will keep you posted.

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 12
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/24/2003 1:16:10 AM   
MP3Mogul

You can "trust" ahead..... they visit the board on a regular basis.... For you to say that tech #1, Tech #2 did not resolve the issue is MUTE. The reason for such, is because you have contacted SO MANY tech support people, that you are leading them through a "dark" tunnel. They are simply starting from "scratch"

Best thing to do, is simply wait, and see what response you get from Nero, and WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THE LAST REPLY.... don't jump to conclusions. Ahead/Nero software is "fantastic" and it DOES WORK, there is simply a problem on "YOUR" system, not with the software.

I would suggest not sending out 6 "TECH" emails without waiting for a response from the first....... Let's let Ahead respond...... and see where we develop.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 13
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/24/2003 1:34:37 AM   
grol

Problem with Tech Support arose, when another tech (Al) took over the thread halfway through. Then I couldn't even get through to the tech (Matthias) who knew what he was talking about. It's only by chance that I got an email through to him (by guessing his email), and now things are moving. I only asked for more help after receiving numerous emails (from Al) asking me to do the same things over and over. It was clear I was getting nowhere and the tech wasn't even reading the emails.

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 14
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/24/2003 3:58:03 PM   
rabbit

With that said, I have tried to duplicate your issue with 3 systems that have Widnows 98SE system. I pulled the Nero Info Tool info and the 'Dependency Walker data file' and used this to as closely as possible duplicate your system configuration. But in all instances, it works without errors.

: ).

Don't hurt the Moderators' feelings or they delete your posts : ).

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 15
RE: Nero Express hangs - 10/24/2003 5:52:40 PM   
CCampbell

quote:
Originally posted by grol

Ok Craig. Support #1 was Al Valerio from the USA. Incidentally, I still get the same seemingly computer-generated response from him every day suggesting I install 5.5.10.54. What a moron. Sorry, but he needs a heads-up. He doesn't end read the case history, before replacing with the exact same answer. The emails have the case-id in the subject, and the entire history is appended below in the email. Not exactly rocket science to give customer service.

Support #2 is Matthias, who I managed to locate by *guessing* his email. Yet again, your USA team have no links to your German counterparts, even though they answer the same email address. Anyways, Matthias seems a nice man, and is now sorting it, and I got a response from a guy called Volker (?programmer? also in Germany) who thinks some system files have been replaced by an update to both machines. This is promising, and will keep you posted.

Hi Grol,

Your in Good hands then. Matthias is a good Tech, and Volker is a very good Programmer with Tech inclinations. :-)

As for Al Valerio, he is part of my team in the US, and I will have his Supervisor have a little talk with him. It sounds like he does not check the option in our Email Database for past history Emails to be downloaded at the same time. And if you have included all past history of responses in your emails, he could have just scrolled down to read the past history. A little brush up on procedures never hurt anyone.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to grol)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero Express hangs Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI