CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 828 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/27/2005 1:19:45 PM   
longevity_freak

Hi all,

I am living in the hot and humid tropical climate of Singapore. My room temperature is approx. 31 degrees Celcius and relative humidity in the room is about 88%. To date more than 40 DVD discs have either degraded (nero transfer rate graphs show lousy dipping curves) and many DVD discs have CRC/read errors (windows report CRC, dvdinfopro show red color blocks). For those discs that have degraded I have actually reburned those discs (about 40-50 discs so far) and store them inside dry boxes with relative humidity maintained at about 20-30% through the use of silica gel crystals. Brands of dvd media that have degraded in my storage include TDK, Verbatim, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Ricoh, NEC, etc. These media are considered branded ones. Also, numerous other people in my country have reported dying/dead/unreadable Imation and Maxell DVD media. I am wondering if dvd degradation occurs in tropical countries only. For those of you who stayed in cold, temperate countries, do you experience failing dvd media?

I have many Mitsubishi, Ricoh and NEC dvd discs with darkened purple spots on the recording side of the disc. A comparison of discs stored in dry boxes and unprotected by dry boxes shows that mit and nec discs stored in dry boxes with silica gel do not have spots whereas discs left lying around everywhere developed spots. They are burned and stored for around the same time.

Please refer to the background and details in the following link:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=991675

The entire thread is about 24 pages so far. I apologize for its terrible length and disorganization (as well as some ranting).

This thread contains background information, my storage environments, hypothesis that humidity degrades my media, efforts to use dry boxes and silica gel, video footages of mitsubishi, nec and ricoh with spots, nero transfer rate curves of degraded media, disc quality scans with terrible PI/PO results, and disc quality scans reserved for future comparisons.

I hope you guys could contribute in the reporting of your failing dvd media and storage conditions in the following format. If you have a better format please advise me. If I have missed out anything please advise me as well.

1. Brand, e.g. Verbatim
2. Format, e.g. 8X DVD+R or 16x DVD-R
3. MID, e.g. MCC04
4. Date the DVD was burned or how long you have stored it, e.g. 4 years 2 months
5. DVD burner used, e.g. LG-4163B
6. Burn speed, e.g. 2X
7. Recording software used, e.g. nero, padus, sonic, etc (seems to be irrelevant?)
8. State/Province, Country, e.g. Wisconsin, U.S.A or Sussex, U.K.
9. DVD Storage temperature, e.g. 30 degrees Celcius
10. DVD Storage Relative Humidity, e.g. 10%
11. DVD protection used, e.g. dry box with silica gel, or electric dry cabinet, or left lying around, CD/DVD wallets, jewel case, or paper sleeve.
12. DVD Failure type: CRC/read error or degraded with no error or cannot be detected by reader (gone case)
13. Attach PI/PO graphs or transfer rate graphs or scandisc graphs?

Thank you for your effort. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

Just to add: some of my dvd discs degrade in as little as 3-4 months (early discs not protected by dry box and silica gel).
Post #: 1
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/27/2005 3:43:17 PM   
longevity_freak

Photos reproduced here for convenience:

DVD Discs with spots on recording side
=========================

An example of a degrading dvd disc (nero cd-dvd speed transfer rate curve):

(in reply to longevity_freak)
Post #: 2
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/27/2005 3:45:00 PM   
longevity_freak

Conditions of My Room, hygrometer exposed for 2 hrs 45 mins, taken on 2005-May-15 1:05 AM Sun SGT:

My room temperature = 32C
Relative humidity in my room = 87%

< Message edited by longevity_freak -- 7/27/2005 3:47:31 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/27/2005 7:11:43 PM   
MP3Mogul

Storing your discs in a ziplock back CAUSES humidity in the bag.  Only way around this would be to vacuum seal the bag without any air/moisture.  You are better off to just store them in their original cases.

You can always get a dehumidifier and run it in that particular room to control the humidity, this is what I use, and I store everything in my basement, and with the dehumidifier running it's a comfortable 40 percent humidity.

< Message edited by MP3Mogul -- 7/27/2005 7:13:04 PM >

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

Post #: 4
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/27/2005 11:35:30 PM   
longevity_freak

quote:

mfortable 40 percent
quote:

ORIGINAL: MP3Mogul

Storing your discs in a ziplock back CAUSES humidity in the bag.  Only way around this would be to vacuum seal the bag without any air/moisture.  You are better off to just store them in their original cases.

You can always get a dehumidifier and run it in that particular room to control the humidity, this is what I use, and I store everything in my basement, and with the dehumidifier running it's a comfortable 40 percent humidity.

The ziploc bag you see in the above picture is used for putting in silica gel crystals. The entire bag is then placed into the dry box. Discs are kept in slim jewel cases and then placed into the dry box.

Is your dehumidifier powered by electricity? How much did you get it for? I have no idea this item exists in Singapore.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/28/2005 1:28:44 AM   
Iggy

Wow, 87% humidity?

Good work btw.

Post #: 6
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/28/2005 5:02:33 AM   
major9686

Yeah .. great thread !!
how much that termostat thingy costs ? I really liked it cause it checks the humidity .. plus, I think it shows more accurate temp. than other devices ...

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 7
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 7/28/2005 7:56:58 AM   
longevity_freak

quote:

much that termostat thingy costs ? I really liked it cause it checks the humidity .. plus, I think it shows more accurate temp. than other devices ...
quote:

ORIGINAL: major9686

Yeah .. great thread !!
how much that termostat thingy costs ? I really liked it cause it checks the humidity .. plus, I think it shows more accurate temp. than other devices ...

It's called a hygrometer. Digital version costs SGD$23 while analog (needle deflection) version costs SGD$6 in Singapore.

(in reply to major9686)
Post #: 8
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 2/8/2006 10:29:59 AM   
longevity_freak

Post #: 9
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 2/20/2006 12:26:24 PM   
longevity_freak

Post #: 10
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 2/26/2006 12:05:53 AM   
longevity_freak

Post #: 11
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 3/3/2006 9:11:55 PM   
longevity_freak

References to news articles at Government Computer News.com and The Wall Street Journal Online:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?p=17655415#post17655415

Post #: 12
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 4/1/2006 8:50:28 AM   
longevity_freak

Post #: 13
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 4/15/2006 1:02:37 AM   
longevity_freak

Recommendations by University of Washington with regards to Environmental Requirements for Storage Media Stability:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=991675&page=62&pp=15

Post #: 14
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 4/15/2006 6:27:10 AM   
Antonio

Interesting...

salute proffessionista!

Post #: 15
RE: End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media - 5/4/2006 1:09:15 AM   
longevity_freak

Test results on the lifespan of various brands of dvd recordable media are here:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=991675&goto=lastpost

More tests coming...

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> End-user Testing/Monitoring on Longevity of DVD Media Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI