CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1126 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes - 7/9/2005 2:04:12 PM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft late Friday responded to criticism that it's gone soft on spyware by issuing an open letter to customers explaining why it changed how its anti-spyware software handles adware from Claria, a pervasive brand of adware.

A Microsoft spokesperson also said that talk of a link between the Claria changes and rumors of ongoing acquisition talks between Microsoft and the Redwood City, Calif.-based Internet marketing company were "a misconception that needed to be cleared up."

"This week we received some questions around Microsoft's classification of Claria software in our Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta). We wanted to take this opportunity to explain our current policies and practices," begins Microsoft's response to the criticism.

"Absolutely no exceptions were made for Claria," the letter said.

Read more...

Source : Yahoo News
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes - 7/10/2005 3:30:26 PM   
Matthew

Claria, good guys?

They would have to take a very tough line with websites that try to foist their crap on you, to get even halfway to being good guys.

My firewall has their known domains on my "bad sites" list, as I've had way too many attempts...
Signed activeX = prompt, unsigned = Prohibit
NEVER will I slacken those off!

I believe Lavasoft have also "gone soft" on some of the crapware - I don't give a damn if it doesn't steal information - if they seek to install something against my wishes, then they are the enemy, and always will be.

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes - 7/11/2005 10:12:10 AM   
SiliconFreak

But hey...Claria is going through tough times...sales are going down....so what could be better for them than to link themselves with M$ and sell their "products" under M$'s name....

Have some compassion Matthew....there are a lot of hardworking people at Claria who will loose their jobs if they dont do some drastic move like this one soon...

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Defends Claria Adware Changes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI