CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What media to use for a school archive?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 505 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What media to use for a school archive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What media to use for a school archive? - 6/27/2005 2:53:44 PM   
davidky

Hi,

Warning: DVD Newbie Alert

This is a common question, I know, but I was wondering what the current consensus is...

I am trying to help a small school figure out a way to archive many GB of photographic and audio files.

What is considered the most reliable DVD media for use in archiving data? (From both a longevity and quality control perspective.)

Cost is not a major issue as long as it is within reson. A few USD per disk is fine.

I am thinking that I will steer clear of the DL media for now as it is new and untested. (Although, the idea of chopping in half the physical size of the archive is very tempting... maybe in a few years... but we are only talking about 15-30 disks anyway)

Also, what is the difference between the DVD+R and DVD-R media? The prices seem similar, and most drives support both. What's up?

What should I use for this project? Where should I purchase it?

Thanks,

David

P.S. I am looking at the NEC 3540 drive to use for burning. Is this a good unit?

< Message edited by davidky -- 6/27/2005 2:57:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/27/2005 4:37:19 PM   
Clint

Hey David, and welcome!

If you can find "Taiyo Yuden" media, these are pretty much 'master' quality media, and are reference media provided to optical disc drive manufacturers for testing. Considered by many to be the best on the planet. Be wary though, there are alot of fake TY discs out there, if you can find them make sure the provider is reputable.

Now, if you cannot find these (very hard to find in Australia, I know), look for Ricoh (under Sony +R brand) or Verbatim (Mitsubishi) media as these run very closely and some cases better than TY. The NEC you mention will try 'overspeed' these, so I recommend burning at the certified speed as per the package to obtain optimum quality, and minimal PIE errors (standard for measuring ECC on DVD medium).

As for + Vs. -, check: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=7664
Basically, +R media plays in the majority of DVD players out there bar a few older models. -R is more compatible than +R, but if you set the booktype to -ROM on the +R discs (the NEC can do this read review on main page), +R then becomes more compatible than -R.

DL media is tested and again Verbatim works very well, but is very expensive in comparison to +/- single layer media.

I recommend for your task the BenQ DW-1640 or Plextor 740A (same hardware, different branding or as it's called OEM) as this drive offers the upmost reading/writing quality straight up no complications/fuss or mess. If cannot find (these are only new on the market), NEC/Plextor/Pioneer/BenQ units will do the job anyway.

I adhere to the above 100% of the time. Trust me, you cannot go wrong if you follow this advise, you simply won't notice any problems, your DVDs will just play everywhere you chuck them.

Any questions, I'm right here

(in reply to davidky)
Post #: 2
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/27/2005 6:04:15 PM   
DrageMester

My standard advice for this type of question is this:

DON'T put all your eggs in the same basket!

So what does that mean? It means that regardless of how good one type of media is supposed to be, don't trust all your data to that media - Not to Verbatim, not to Taiyo Yuden, not to any single manufacturer.

Why? Because if you are unlucky you can get a bad batch of media from even the best manufacturer, and then all your data could deteriorate the same way on identical media.

I suggest you choose two quality media products, e.g. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, and then burn two identical copies of everything to one of each of these media. Then store the two copies in different locations. If you are paranoid you can even burn more than two copies.

(in reply to davidky)
Post #: 3
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/27/2005 6:35:37 PM   
Clint

Yes very true. Thats why one should always scan for PI/PO errors, focus/tracking/TA etc...

I recommended the above as to try not confuse the newcomer. Also, why I advised to get drives that support such error checking capabilities. Thanks for the back-hand DM

P.S. I have yet to come accross a faulty or even slightly faulty batch of Ricoh RICOHJPNR01 media. Have burnt many and test after each burn and all are excellent on the PX-712 v1.07. v1.05 was poor quality, however this comes down to Plextor stuffing up that version, I believe - which brings us back to the 'all eggs in one basket scenario'.

(in reply to DrageMester)
Post #: 4
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/28/2005 8:10:59 AM   
G_IvanAwfulitch

Just buy a new hard drive put everything in a folder with a date on it . Next back up time just make a folder with the date on it and so on and so on. Remove the hard drive when not in use and store in a safe place.

DVD Burning 'PuterP4 2.8 o/c 3.2
XP Pro Sp2
Albatron PX865PE PRO
6HDs_ 1TB+ total
2GB 3200DDR
MD 3500 2.FC, MD 3520 1.F3 On Firewire
Benq oem 1620 B7U9, BQ 1640
Plex 48/24/48 BU on Usb2
General use,Compaq 5000 series
BTC 1108

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 5
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/28/2005 8:25:30 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: G_IvanAwfulitch

Just buy a new hard drive put everything in a folder with a date on it . Next back up time just make a folder with the date on it and so on and so on. Remove the hard drive when not in use and store in a safe place.

If you can read, the original poster requires physical discs, so they can be distributed...

(in reply to G_IvanAwfulitch)
Post #: 6
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/28/2005 12:49:05 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

If you want high quality media, which can both be used, and archived for long periods of time, then much better then Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim would be Maxell's new BQ 8x DVD-Rs. They are high quality Japanese manufactured discs, with high compatability with most drives on the market.

Why are these better then Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim? Because unlike both of those discs, these guys have a hardened coating to prevent scratches on the bottom of the disc. This means that they will hold up better even if used frequently or improperly (which let's face it, this happens in schools quite easily!).

FYI: These are the same discs I recommend to my own mother for storing family photo's on.

I don't think you could do any better. (and don't bother with Memorex's hardend coat media, the discs I've tried out were screwed up and couldn't burn properly, probably because of a messed up hardend coat I suspect. TDK's Armor Plated disc might make a good alternative though).

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 7
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 6/30/2005 8:55:36 AM   
G_IvanAwfulitch

Sorry Clint I guess I can't read. I went back and read the post and still saw NOTHING about distributing info only archiving. I guess one of us needs new specks.

< Message edited by G_IvanAwfulitch -- 6/30/2005 8:57:19 AM >

DVD Burning 'PuterP4 2.8 o/c 3.2
XP Pro Sp2
Albatron PX865PE PRO
6HDs_ 1TB+ total
2GB 3200DDR
MD 3500 2.FC, MD 3520 1.F3 On Firewire
Benq oem 1620 B7U9, BQ 1640
Plex 48/24/48 BU on Usb2
General use,Compaq 5000 series
BTC 1108

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 8
RE: What media to use for a school archive? - 7/18/2005 11:30:21 PM   
chas0039

If I were really going to archive I would use DVD-RAM discs.  Now that the 5X is near $5 per it is a viable alternative and as close to archival as average consumer can get.

Still a few bugs in the system...

(in reply to G_IvanAwfulitch)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What media to use for a school archive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI