CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Newest Microsoft Command Shell Beta Released to Developers On Schedule   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 849 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Newest Microsoft Command Shell Beta Released to Developers On Schedule Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newest Microsoft Command Shell Beta Released to Develop... - 6/18/2005 5:35:33 PM   
WinThusiast

As anticipated by reports in Tom's Hardware Guide earlier this week, the latest edition of what is now officially called the Microsoft Command Shell (MSH) was released on schedule to a select group of invited developers.

Although it is destined to replace the DOS command line - and, as a result, purge the last vestigial remnant of MS-DOS from Windows - MSH is geared for administrators who want full and complete command over systems and networks using a literal tool rather than graphical interfaces. The project's code name "Monad" - taken from a mathematical term referring to enabling the result of a function to be used as a continuation term within a subsequent function - is starting to be played down, which is usually an indication of a Microsoft project becoming nearly ready for prime time. However, the word "Longhorn" appears nowhere in the current draft product literature.

This will probably lead to increased speculation that MSH will not be ready for public release in time for the first shipments of Longhorn - the next edition of Windows, whose last explicitly reported window of possible release had been the second half of 2006, but which may conceivably slip into 2007. However, Microsoft spokespersons have confirmed that the MSH project is progressing on its own schedule, thereby denying reports elsewhere that MSH will not be ready for Longhorn. In fact, a thorough scan of the current MSH literature suggests that MSH is being readied for use with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, implying that MSH may already have an installed base and a following of administrators prior to Longhorn's launch.

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed earlier this week that MSH's first public release will be as a part of the next edition of Microsoft Exchange, due in the second half of 2006. Sources outside of Microsoft tell us Exchange 12 will rely directly upon MSH for much of its functionality, running mail administrative functions through a GUI that invoke MSH scripts in the background. As new and revised operating systems services are launched over the next three to five years, sources indicate, more major services including Microsoft Management Console plug-ins will be adapted, like Exchange, to run "on top of" MSH.

So the wait - assuming there will be one, which is generally a safe assumption in these matters - won't be for Monad to come into full fruition, but for server functions like Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) and system services such as Internet Information Server (IIS) to become integrated into an administrator's operating environment. In fact, it may actually be imperative that MSH be finished sooner rather than later, in order for Longhorn to be able to make use of it - not so MSH can make use of Longhorn. All this, so admins will have the option of taking complete command of Windows from a little black screen with a prompt and a blinking cursor.

Source : TomsHardware
Post #: 1
RE: Newest Microsoft Command Shell Beta Released to Dev... - 6/18/2005 7:57:57 PM   
SithTracy

I'm an good 'ol DOS fan and still use the heck out of CLI based programs.  I use GNU Privacy Guard (OpenPGP encryption), Golden Hawk's CDRWIN, PKWARE's PKZip, and RARLAB's WinRAR from a command line.  However, it scares the heck out of me that Microsoft is writing a shell that will inevitably give hackers more power to take control of your PC.  I hope they secure the **** out of it.

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Newest Microsoft Command Shell Beta Released to Developers On Schedule Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI