CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1161 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/14/2005 9:44:18 PM   
SiliconFreak

It's not a question, if digital rights management (DRM) and a restricted use of digital content will be a reality on future PCs, but rather when such devices will become a part of our everyday digital life. Graphics chip company ATI said DRM will make its way into its products soon and the company preps an initiative to educate customers on different DRM technologies.

Considering today's open use of digital content ranging from audio and video files to recorded TV streams, dozens of potential future DRM technologies can paint a scary vision for computer users. However, DRM already is a reality today and will become much more visible in the coming months. To make content more secure, users will see a shift from software-only DRM to hardware-based solutions in processors, chipsets, buses, memories and other system components. Integrating technologies in hardware promise to be locked away from user access and therefore offer a higher degree of protection for digital content than we know today.

ATI is one of the hardware companies that will support a range of technologies in future products, according to Godfrey Cheng, Director of the firm's Multimedia Marketing group. "There is no doubt in my mind that there will be more DRM in future All-in-Wonder (AIW) products in the future," he said in a conversation with Tom's Hardware Guide.

According to Cheng, there is no DRM in current AIW cards at this time. As a result, the company had to halt sales of the products when the "broadcast flag" as technology to protect digital television programming from copying was introduced. Sales recently resumed when the US court of Appeals ruled that the FCC didn't have the authority to mandate the flag. Cheng however believes that the broadcast flag will return sooner or later.

"DRM will be pervasive throughout the whole industry," he said. But, as other chip manufacturers, ATI is entrenched between the interests of content holders to protect content as much as possible and the interests of consumer who open access to audio and video. While ATI's interest is to open up content, according to Cheng, the company feels the need to protect content. Cheng envisions for the future a "device" that allows users to "see and use premium digital content." He said he could not provide further details about such a device, since "it is not too public."

However, Cheng said it is necessary for the consumer to understand what DRM is about and that is not a "beast" hiding inside a PC. "Education is absolutely necessary and will pursue this. Our education program is in the final planning phase and we will begin rolling it out with new products," Cheng said.

While he believes that the content industry is the driving force behind DRM, he said that the ultimate guideline for content protection will be based on laws that consider the interests of various groups. "We will certainly see legislation everyone will have to follow in the industry. Such laws cannot set the level so high that nobody buys digital content," he said.

Source : TomsHardware
Post #: 1
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 1:32:39 AM   
Dartman

Well this might be my last ATI card then. Getting tired of corporations telling me what and how I use my software.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 4:54:40 AM   
SiliconFreak

So You wont be using Graphics Cards at all then, Dartman?  Because I believe if ATI will put this technology into their products (at least in those offering video capture), then others (like Nvidia) will surely follow sooner or later... 

I kinda agree with You...that its YOUR decission to make whether to make (in this case) copies of copyrighted material...its just that each individual can do what he/she wants...but if he/she does something illegal...then he should be responsible for consequences... Personally I also believe that this isnt gonna stop those hardcore users of those techniques...because sooner or later...someone will crack this...and everything will be back to how it is now (i.e...just look at those so-called "hardware anti virus protections" offered and advertised so much on motherboards...do they offer high security against latest viruses and other trash that flows around the Internet? NOOOOOOO! Got the point? ).

I am also aware that this kind of illegal copying could be big problem for their owners...but...I dont believe this is the right way to solve their problems...since they make bigger and bigger profits out of this (although they keep telling us that profits are falling because of illegal copying)...they could first try lowering their subscribtions and other fees (that goes to all other too....manufacturers of hardware, software,etc,etc...)...and make some other actions before trying this approach...btw...so what if i.e. their pure profits are $5 Billion...instead of $6 Billion (if noone would copy their material illegally).... Even $5 Billion is way too much... I would understand that, if they would later give some $4.5 Billion to poor people around the world....but since they dont do that...and rather split that money between their CEO's and shareholders...no wayyyy...they are also responsible for all this...its just that almost entire world has become to greedy...and that sux... 

Enjoy people...and dont let anything let you down...be strong and positive...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 6/16/2005 4:56:57 AM >

(in reply to Dartman)
Post #: 3
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 5:47:12 AM   
Dartman

Hres a good thread from CD Freaks that kinda sums up what one software maker thinks of the whole mess http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=139228

Post #: 4
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 6:13:48 AM   
SiliconFreak

Thanks! Its really a VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE!

Now here are some quotes that I've had in my mind before...

""If the people that are pirating your software will not buy it anyway, why not let them have it? Does it cost you anything? No, only if you consider it a lost sale. But considering an individual in Siberia or Africa as a potential paying customer, is not sound marketing. Yes, some corporations will buy your product if it is too difficult to obtain a warez copy. But an individual making $100 a month, and using it at home, will never buy your product unless it goes on the dinner table.""

""There is a saying, (referring to houses) "Locks keep honest people honest." Criminals will just bust the door down. The same is true of software. Make it reasonably difficult, you will never succeed in building a burglar proof house, and you will never succeed in producing pirate proof software.

Microsoft spends more on anti piracy measures than most of us will ever earn in our lives, and their products are pirated more than any other software. You may be smart, but so are many of the high paid brains at Microsoft.""

""Personally, if single song tracks were offered at rates from $0.25 (old songs) to $3, I would easily use such a service to legally obtain the music I want. For those with voracious appetites, bulk discounts or subscription plans could be offered. The record companies would have higher profit on such songs because there is no overhead for CD production and shipping. Only negligible overhead associated with bandwidth.

But users had no way to give the record companies what they wanted (money) without purchasing whole albums. Many users did not see it reasonable to spend $20 for an album to obtain a single song, and instead turned to Napster.""

Well thats it...a would recommend that everyone reads that article from CD Freaks above (expecially manufacturers and others associated in that business should take closer look to see where they are wrong and whats causing this piracy boost...surely not just that bunch of hackers...).

Thanks again Dartman and good luck with Your next Graphics card!

(in reply to Dartman)
Post #: 5
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 7:28:25 AM   
emperor

DRM will eventually hit the market and consumers will loose several benefits but this is what the indrustry wants...lets hope that they won't over do it

Post #: 6
RE: ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! - 6/16/2005 3:43:48 PM   
Matthew

With software (as with the recent loss of DVD Decrypter) there will always be a way round it (eg. CloneCD's emigration to Antigua), so long as there is at least one juristiction that doesn't seek to dictate what we do with content, because we MIGHT do something bad with it (and a backup to save the original from loss or damage, is morally right, even if it is legally wrong).

With hardware, using such a "flag of convenience" is not as easy.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> ATI : Consumers need to understand DRM ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI