CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

World's biggest hacker arrested !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 689 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> World's biggest hacker arrested ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World's biggest hacker arrested ! - 6/9/2005 8:34:21 PM   
SiliconFreak

A London man described as the "world's biggest computer hacker" has been arrested.

Gary McKinnon, 39, was seized by the Met's extradition unit at his Wood Green home. The unemployed former computer engineer is accused of causing the US Government $1 billion (Dh3.67 billion) of damage by breaking into its most secure computers at the Pentagon and Nasa.

McKinnon was yesterday granted bail under strict terms and told to reappear in court next month amid proceedings to extradite him to the United States. The court told McKinnon to appear for an extradition hearing on July 27.

The judge ordered McKinnon to provide £5,000 (Dh33,703) security, report to his London police station, not to apply for any international travel documents and not to gain access to the internet as bail conditions.

He is likely to face eight counts of computer crime in 14 American states and could be jailed for 70 years.

Most of the alleged hacking took place in 2001 and 2002. At one stage the US thought it was the work of the Al Qaida network.

Friends said he broke into the networks from his home computer to try to prove his theory that the US was covering up the existence of UFOs.

He is accused of a series of hacking offences including deleting "critical" files from military computers. The US authorities said the cost of tracking him down and correcting the alleged problems was more than £570,000 (Dh3,842,088).

The offences could see him fined up to £950,000 (Dh6,403,480) if found guilty on all charges. He was arrested on Tuesday evening but the US first issued an indictment against him in November 2002.

Prosecutor Paul McNulty alleged that McKinnon, known online as Solo, had perpetrated "the biggest hack of military computers ever".

He was named as the chief suspect after a series of electronic break-ins occurred over 12 months at 92 separate US military and Nasa networks. McKinnon was also accused of hacking into the networks of six private companies and organisations.

Gary McKinnon is accused of causing the US
Government $1 billion of damage by breaking
into its most secure computers at the Pentagon
and Nasa.

Source : GulfNews
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> World's biggest hacker arrested ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI