CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1557 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 1:15:23 AM   
kewlbreeze

I just purchased a Liteon LTR52327S CDR/RW drive with Nero Express ver5.5.10.13bundled software included. I usually convert .shn files to .wav and then burn the .wav to audio. With the Nero Express software I just installed it gives me an error message stating "this file format not supported" when trying to add files to my project list. I have uninstalled it, & reinstalled it using the custom install to make sure it doesn't have an option to choose supported types, but it doesn't. I'm confused as to why any type of burning software would not support .wav file extensions. Has anyone run across this problem?
Post #: 1
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 1:45:34 AM   
MP3Mogul

It does support burning wave files.... Try doing a clean uninstall, including the registry.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 2
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 3:01:38 AM   
kewlbreeze

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I'm not quite registry savvy. My OS is Windows 2000 5.0. I can pull up the Registry Editor, and do see within several of the software folders Nero folders. Should I just find everyone of those that are lableled Nero and delete the entire Nero folder? I have been warned that toying w/ the registry w/o knowing what you are doing can possibly be very damaging, so I'm a little hesitant to jump right in.

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 3
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 3:38:52 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Just Download the Nero Clean Tool from MP3Moguls link and that will Clean the Registry for you get it at :-
http://members.aol.com/mp3mogul/clean.zip
I hope This Helps !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 4
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 4:11:12 AM   
kewlbreeze

Thanks LA. I used the clean tool successfully & reinstalled the software. STILL NO WAVE SUPPORT[xx(].

I think this is an extremely limited version that is packaged w/ burners to entice you to buy the full version. I had used a Nero demo in the past successfully & it always recognized .wav files. In fact, I just downloaded the upgrade to version 5.5.10.50 from nero.com and tried to use it. Unfortunately, that upgrade only seems to be for full versions of Nero. Mine is ONLY Nero Express. Once upgraded, I was able to see .wav extensions listed in the drop down of file types in an add file window (on my version it is defaulted to .cda files.) The problem is it only would allow me to use it as a demo, expiring in approximately a month. It's looking a lot more like I won't be using Nero, which is a shame because I do like it's ease of use.

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 5
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 4:19:34 AM   
MP3Mogul

This is very strange, I did install just Nero Express, and it recognizes wave files just fine. You can easily upgrade to Nero 6.0. It is really full featured, and I think that you will find it is well worth the $$$.

Also after you ran the clean tool, did you edit your registry and look for the remaining Nero files? Nero Clean does leave 14 files in the registery after the clean tool is ran. I don't know that this could be the problem, but it is possible. What other burning software do you have installed? Also what ASPI Layer?

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 6
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 4:19:37 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Yeah sorry to hear that Mate but it does look Like Liteon are cutting the corners again by only giving you a cut down version to keep their prices down !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 7
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 4:54:21 AM   
kewlbreeze

MP3Mogul, what version of Nero Express do you have? Does your version info, when pulled from the lower left hand corner "?" icon have the word "bundled" following it? Does the disc have OEM on it anywhere? Along with Nero Express, do you have the ability to switch over to Nero?

In regards to your questions, no, I did not review the registry for any possible missed files. I used your tool and it came through with a completed message so I didn't worry about it. Do I just erase any folders tied into the software folder that are labeled Nero or Ahead? No other burning software on this pc. Not sure about the ASPI layer, although the Nero Info Tool shows Nero ASPI is installed and working properly. File name WNASPI32.DLL, version 2.0.1.50.

Honestly, after buying a new drive which I was excited about being bundled with Nero, to be misled, by Liteon I'm sure, I'm not too excited about dropping any more cash. I already have EAC, which I can use to burn, or I can always get some shareware. At this point I'm more interested in finding a fix to this problem, or getting confirmation of my suspicions that it is a very limited version of their program (which up until a few hours ago I was hoping was not it. Seems very strange for a burning utility not to have the capability to support wave files, no matter how stripped to the bone it is[:(!].)

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 8
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 5:00:01 AM   
MP3Mogul

Well.... mine is not a bundled version, so perhaps, they did make a slim downed version of the program for the bundle. But I just can't believe that they would have not made wave support.... does it work with MP3s? If it does, just use EAC to rip, and LAME to encode and then burn your cd's.

As for Nero, after the clean removal, yes you should boot into safe mode, and remove EVERYTHING to do with Nero... this is the only way to accomplish a clean install. This is also a little disappointing for Liteon also, but remember, Liteon releases firmware, seems like every other day, that is not fully tested, they rely on users to report problems to them....

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 9
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 5:12:19 AM   
kewlbreeze

quote:
Originally posted by MP3Mogul

But I just can't believe that they would have not made wave support.... does it work with MP3s? If it does, just use EAC to rip, and LAME to encode and then burn your cd's.

I have been stunned all day about the lack of wave support. I figured I had to have done something wrong. I've spent all day on nero's website, usenet, google, various message boards, and no dice. Nothing about the issue at all. If I was the average joe who was using my burner for mp3's and archiving purposes I may never have even noticed this issue. I used the program several times successfully to back up my digital camera pics. I hope to have a solid answer for this riddle someday.

I would not be willing to compress my wave audio files into a lossy format like mp3, unless you are suggesting something else. I'm avid music collector, and I would not be able to trade those recordings to other collectors if they were of mp3 source. My main use for my broadband connection is to be able to download large shorten and flac files that are a compressed, but lossless, clone of the master recording.

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 10
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 5:27:33 AM   
MP3Mogul

Well good luck.. What country are you in? I forgot to ask. MP3 can be a very good compression when using the VBR mode. I cannot distinguish an original from a VBR encoded file.

Oh, I see you use Charter Communications, and are from St Louis, MO in the USA. I too am in the US.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, there are alot of losless compression formats, but for archiving, and space, I do use the lame compressor at VBR, and have flawless files. I too, am a serious music collector (hence the name) and I have a collection of over 13,000 audio cd's. Also, you may want to be careful, you say you TRADE your files, this is also illegal, and you may perhaps, be in alot of trouble, if you are caught! Hope you get the issue resolved though...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 11
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 5:41:43 AM   
kewlbreeze

quote:
Originally posted by MP3Mogul

I too, am a serious music collector (hence the name) and I have a collection of over 13,000 audio cd's. Also, you may want to be careful, you say you TRADE your files, this is also illegal, and you may perhaps, be in alot of trouble, if you are caught! Hope you get the issue resolved though...

Everything I trade is 100% legal. I have no interest in getting official releases for free. When I like an artist I support them with my money, on that you can be sure. So you can maybe understand who I am and why all this is necessary, I am a huge fan of the Grateful Dead, Phish, String Cheese Incident, etc, etc. These bands freely allow fans to tape and trade their shows, as long as it is not for profit. Their is a very high standard of set rules in these trading communities, and whether it's practical or not, most people will not trade for mp3 sourced recordings. Thus, my need for a program that recognizes waves. I realize there are new patches for Nero so that you can drop shorten and flac files directly in and it will do the conversion to wave for you, but all that is a moot point to me unless I get a full working version that would support such a upgrade. It's pretty frustrating. Thanks for your help though.

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 12
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 5:53:50 PM   
Matthew

What format of WAV is it (many players will tell you)

44100 is the CD sample rate, and while most CD-R burning programs can upconvert from 11k and 22.05k, and from mono to stereo, many will not be happy if the original sample rate is 8KHz, 16 or 32, since they do not upsample directly.

Record a sample wav of the appropriate type, and try that.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
You could also try (if the sample rate is wroing) resampling using audacity (freeware)

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 13
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/28/2003 9:25:49 PM   
kewlbreeze

Thanks for the suggestion Matthew. I'll take a look at that possibilty tonight. However, I don't believe that to be the issue in this case for this reason: When I use the limited version of Nero Express I have, the default for the file type field when adding files is .cda. When I use the drop down there is no choice for wave files, just the ever present "all files" option. However, once my version of Nero is upgraded to the most recent version of in the 5 class the default in this field is now changed to wave files in their various formats. So, from this it seems the Nero Express program I have does not support wave files at all, not just ones that aren't in the preferred sample rate.

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 14
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/30/2003 12:45:42 AM   
CCampbell

All versions of Nero, from Nero 4 up to Nero 6 support WAV files.

As mentioned by Matthew, its more than likely a format issue.

You can easily confirm this by grabbing any audio CD and use Nero to extract the audio to your HD as a WAV file. Then take the WAV file you created using Nero, and then write it back to an Audio CD.

You can do the same with Windows Media Player, Music Match, etc to create a WAV file and burn with Nero.

I suspect the format you are using when converting from .SHN to .WAV is your issue.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 15
RE: Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? - 8/30/2003 3:13:48 AM   
MP3Mogul

Craig,

We know, we have been trying to tell him for QUITE some time, and deleted about 200 posts! LOL.. anyway, there is no problem with Ahead's software.. I'm thinking it's on the INSTALLER's end.[}:)]

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to kewlbreeze)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero Express bundled doesn't support .wav? help? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI