CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 715 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! - 6/3/2005 12:36:30 PM   
T3TRISizer

The suicide of a young Chinese boy in the Tianjin province has highlighted once more the growing dangers of game addiction, when those responsible don't understand or notice the risks of unhealthy play. Xiao Yi was thirteen when he threw himself from the top of a twenty-four story tower block in his home town, leaving notes that spoke of his addiction and his hope of being reunited with fellow cyber-players in heaven. The suicide notes were written through the eyes of a gaming character, so reports the China Daily, and stated that he hoped to meet three gaming friends in the after life. His parents, who had noticed with growing concern his affliction, were not mentioned in the letters.

"My kid was like someone taking drugs who could not control himself," said Xiao Yi's father. "His mother and I were very worried about him. But we knew little about the Internet and we did not know how to save him." Previously, Xiao's parents had found him starving after two days and nights in an internet cafE playing online role-playing games. When questioned about his bizarre behaviour, his father said that a tearful Xiao had told him that he had been poisoned by games and could no longer control himself.

This is not the first incident of this kind, but it is certainly the severest, with Asia being a hot-spot for such socially-derived issues. On the reasoning why gamers can be sucked into virtual worlds to a dangerous degree, software association head Liu Min commented "In the hypothetical world created by such games, they become confident and gain satisfaction, which they cannot get in the real world."

Foreign influences in games played by Chinese youngsters (most of which are imported) were accused of having a negative influence, of promoting 'demon worlds', to their impressionable audiences, though it seems more likely that it was issues in the victims own life which drew him to seek such extreme escapism. A sad tale, regardless.

Source : Ferrago
Post #: 1
RE: Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! - 6/3/2005 6:26:07 PM   
MP3Mogul

I blame the parents as well, they need to regulate the amount of time kids spend on these games!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 2
RE: Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! - 6/3/2005 6:37:37 PM   
SiliconFreak

Leave parents out of this mess....they were busy with playing new PS2 games in other room....so they cant be blamed...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! - 6/3/2005 8:55:26 PM   
MP3Mogul

LOL!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Chinese suicide shows addiction dangers ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI