Ok... I'm not panicing, but very close to it.
I found the 'modified' zip file 224bitset.zip from http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/6500.html
which is meant to be the 2.24 firmware with riplock removal, RPC1 and media bitsetting.
Here is the sequence I performed:
1. Checked Windows System Device manager and found NEC6500A with unassigned region.
2. Dumped the original flash firmware onto my harddrive. (Original Firmware 2.02C)
3. Flashed with the files in 224bitset.zip in this sequence:
- 224orig.exe (restarted XP)
4. When I checked the Device manager again, the number of changes have now changed to 2!!!!!
5. Put a region 4 (AUS) DVD into the drive. Number of changes is now down to 1....argh
Emperor, I tried your suggestion to go to TDB, but it's down at the moment.
Any ideas why it's doing this? What should I have done???