CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD-R media compatibility   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 894 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD-R media compatibility Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD-R media compatibility - 5/24/2005 10:39:27 PM   
wwwill

I have a Toshiba SD-R5002 2x DVD-R burner and an NEC 3520 16x DVD-/+R burner arriving soon. I want to know a few questions about creating the best quality DVD-R video discs and CD-R audio discs that are most compatible in consumer players.

I apologize if this as been convered to death.

What media works best:
I have browsed around this site long enoughtosee that the consensus is that DVD-R are still the most compatible media in consumer players, even if it's by a slim margin. I have had good results with Princo, TDK, Ritek, LeadData and Verbatim DVD-Rs and TDK, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs. What is the best media to use for creating video DVD-Rs, audio CD-Rs and data DVD/CD-R/Ws: Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Verbatim. There are many names I hear a lot but have no idea what is up with them: Prodisc, Ideal, Hyundai, Philips, Imation, SuperMedia.  I know a lot of brands are private label; CompUSA DVD-Rs were LeadData. I am looking at inkjet-printable media. Can anyone list media in order of preference/reliablility?

Does burn speed affect compatibility:
I remember in regards to audio CD-R burning it was considered best for compatibility with consumer players to burn no higher than 4x. Data CD-Rs didn't matter. Is this a factor with video DVD-Rs for consumer players? I 16x no different thand 4x or 2x or 1x? Can you use rated speed media higher or lower? If I buy 8x media does buring at 16x or 4x cause any problems? I want to use my Toshiba 2x burner when volume requires the use of two burners.  Should I burn on my NEC and Toshiba at 2x? Does it matter if my Toshiba burns at 2x and the NEC burns at whatever (4x, 8x, 16)? Will there be a noticable difference in the batch of discs burned? Does software program affect burn quality?

Do you burn media then print media:
I am tired of leaving precious ink on label paper. I am getting an Epson R200 to do general/disc printing, unless some can convince me of a better solution. I assume it's better to burn the disc then print on the disc. Is this what most people do? If there is another method then let me know. Is ther any danger in printing the disc first then burning the disc? What's the concensus.

I have aproject to deliver 50 discs on Tuesday 5/31 so unfortunately I need answers quickly. If I don't get answers soon I will have to inform my consulting firm of Knuckles & Associates to do some "persuading". Don't let it come to that.

Thank you all for your answers.
Post #: 1
RE: DVD-R media compatibility - 5/25/2005 1:33:26 AM   
Iggy

What media works best?
This is much depending on the burner. NEC 3520 is an excellent burner. Check the review at CDRinfo to see which media prodused the better writing quality.

Does burn speed affect compatibility?
Better burn at certified speed

Do you burn media then print media?
Personaly I prefer first to print the media and then burn them. But for sure if you want reliability avoid the labels.

(in reply to wwwill)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD-R media compatibility Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI