CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Italy To Establish Cyber-crime Unit !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 767 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Italy To Establish Cyber-crime Unit ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italy To Establish Cyber-crime Unit ! - 5/20/2005 5:41:09 AM   
SiliconFreak

Italy is soon to have its own cyber-crime unit prompted by rising concerns over a possible terrorist attack, a top police official said Thursday.

At a conference here on communications security Domenico Palumbo said the national unit, which will be operational by the end of the year, will help prevent attacks on key infrastructure targets such as energy generators, water supplies, telecommunications and banks.

"It's increasingly likely that terrorists will be able to strike a country by attacking one of these critical infrastructures through online systems," Palumbo said.

"And any online attack could be combined with a physical attack, such as a bomb, to increase its impact."

Other speakers highlighted that terrorists weren't the only criminals exploiting the Internet

"Mafia groups already have trained computer experts who hack other systems, and send out spam and viruses," said Italy's assistant national anti-mafia prosecutor, Carlo Visconti.

"For example, the Mydoom virus spread last year, which cost 400,000 dollars, appears to have been the work of the Russian mafia rather than just simple computer thugs."

Organized crime in Italy had already branched out into cyber-extortion, hacking into a major company's networks and then demanding cash not to make the information public, he added.

Source : XinhuaNet
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Italy To Establish Cyber-crime Unit ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI