CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Commwarrior Virus Marches On...   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 921 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Commwarrior Virus Marches On... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Commwarrior Virus Marches On... - 5/18/2005 6:55:28 PM   
SiliconFreak

The cell phone virus Commwarrior recently surfaced in Italy, in a sign that destructiveness of the Symbian OS nemesis is reaching a boil after simmering for months.

As feared, the virus is showing its propensity for spreading. Italy is the third nation in only three weeks to suffer Commwarrior attacks, according to security experts F-Secure. The other nations are India and Oman.

Originating in Ireland in January, the virus forces cell phones to send to random contacts versions of its malware that are hidden inside premium messages based on multimedia messaging (MMS) technology. The virus also can spread through Bluetooth connections. It infects only those phones based on the Symbian operating system--devices known as "smart phones" for their ability to replicate features normally found in personal computers.

While the number of infected phones is below 50, Commwarrior alarms security experts because it’s the first virus spread via MMS, which can instantly reach most cell phones and PCs connected to the Internet.
Commwarrior's strength also hinges, in part, on users' relative naivete about cell phone viruses. To fall victim to Commwarrior, a user has to open the e-mail and download the attached malware. On a PC, the same e-mail would raise a number of red flags that users would be unlikely to miss. To fool recipients, Commwarrior virus writers use more than 20 legitimate-looking types of messages, including one purportedly containing a Symbian software update.

"We know people are curious, and there are always some people who will install Commwarrior, especially since via MMS they seem to receive the file from someone they know," F-Secure warned on May 13.

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
RE: Commwarrior Virus Marches On... - 5/19/2005 12:36:25 PM   
Matthew

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4542615.stm

From what they were saying there, it seems not much can happen without an "OK" - mind you, the way PC email users get caught out by scams, this is no defence.

The Mobile phone virus explosion is coming - and my old clunker of a phone is immune!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Commwarrior Virus Marches On... - 5/19/2005 7:07:11 PM   
SiliconFreak

Exactly....

...so my old Samsung SGH600 and Siemens A36 are both safe to operate in this virus striking world that lies ahead...

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 3
RE: Commwarrior Virus Marches On... - 5/20/2005 1:29:07 PM   
Matthew

Even more importantly, my old clunker is immune to that other virus spreading across mobile phones and even TV adverts

It's awful, it's horrible, it's infuriating, and completely sad....

The Crazy Frog Ringtone!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Commwarrior Virus Marches On... - 5/20/2005 9:17:58 PM   
SiliconFreak

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Commwarrior Virus Marches On... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI