CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

The ol' "which cd-r" question   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 472 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> The ol' "which cd-r" question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 8:59:26 AM   
Toasty

Hi all,
I don't have a lot of options where I live, and here they are:

- Maxell CD-R80XL-S x48. According to http://www.cdr-info.de/detailcdr.php?ID=1610 they are TY, but can I trust it? Is Maxell generally ok (from what I've read here I'm not so sure it is...). These are the only discs I found which might be TY.

- TDK CD-R80X50P. It says made in Taiwan so it's not TY. From what I read here it can be a bust if it's CMC or OK+ if it's Ritek.

- Verbatim DataLife Plus (Mitsubishi)

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 9:52:25 AM   
rjw

Maxell CD-R80XL-S x48 are made by TY or Ritek.
The Riteks are quite good. The Ty disc's are only slightly better.

The question is what burner are you useing.
Lite On burners don't work good with Verbatim Datalife Plus AZO media.

Lite ON -> Best option Maxel (Ritek/TY both work good)

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 2
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 10:06:29 AM   
Toasty

I have a Yamaha 20x10x40 burner (CRW2200E-VK). Thanks for your answer!
Reading the comment here http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8512&SearchTerms=maxell made me think Maxell is bad...

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 3
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 12:08:13 PM   
rjw

Maxell has used a lot of disc manufacturers in the past.
With a good drive all disc's would burn fine. However some disc's from some of the manufacturers were quite incompatible when it came to writing quality.
The Hitachi Maxell disc's which are made by Maxell themselves are one of the examples. They can be problematic on some writers.
However the disc's themselves are not really bad. Since on most plextor models the same batches could be burned prety good.

The 48x Ritek and TY disc's work with allmost any write good.
Only the Artec drives can have problems with TY.

Most people think that when media it is bad it is caused by the media. However some media can also be completely incompatible with a drive because the drive manufacturer screwed up.

PLextor & Yamaha & Teac are known for there good implementation when it comes to writing quality. Why they may not go as fast as Lite On. They actually have less problems with media.
Lite On really looks fancy with there huge releases of firmware and there ability to write anything very fast. However I allready seen quite some incompatible stuff for it. (MCC, PLasmon,MBIL)

All disc's you listed should work okay on your Yamaha burner. H
HoweverI would stay away from the TDK's just in case it's CMC. While the Yamaha drives can burn these disc's prety decent if CMC made them decent.(And the TDK ones mostly are.) The CMC disc's overall seem not the best option when it comes to protection against UV or corrosion.

Best option would be the Maxell's if there made by TY.
Second best is Verbatim Datalife Pluse (AZO) made by MCC(be sure that it states plus not only but also AZO. I have seen some wrong packaged media. (Not stateing AZO but only datalife PLus on top of the boxes. On the sides it was stated Datalife. Verbatim allready knows that they screwed up and tried to get most of the stock back.Still some shops still sell them. )
Third best Maxell (Ritek)

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 4
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 12:27:04 PM   
Toasty

My Yamaha never had a problem with any manufacturer I used, but the reason I now started to think before I buy (I used to buy the cheapest brands available) is that I want a good longevity and quality, and I fear the cheap brands I bought until now will become unreadable in the not-so-distant future. So I'm not troubled if the cds will burn successfully or not (never had a coaster yet even with the cheapest brands) but if the cds will last for a good number of years or not.

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 5
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 12:36:01 PM   
rjw

Like I said Yamaha,Plextor & TEAC did implemented there writing strategies prety good and for this reason don't have huge compatability problems like other manufacturers have.

I can say one thing about quality for archiving.
I have put some Verbatim Metal AZO (Printable) disc's in the sun for weeks and the disc's were still readable.

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 6
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 1:54:01 PM   
Toasty

Thank you very much for your help! But now I'm confused, should I get the Maxell or the MCC Verbatim (which btw says "Crystal/Super AZO" on the cover)? Argh life was better when I didn't care about these things.

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 7
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 3:00:43 PM   
rjw

The Ritek disc's are not much bad compared to MCC. And the MCC aren't compared bad with TY.
So the best option would be the one you can get cheapest.
(Yeah Dutch people allways want good stuff for (allmost) nothing )

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 8
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/4/2003 7:05:03 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

just figured I'd mention this:

The Maxell are CD-R80XL-S x40CD-Rs are made by Hitachi Maxell themselves, and are quite good I have a review of them ready but due to some internet problems I'm suffering from, I can't upload it yet [}:)] expect it in the next 10-14 days though (I hope!).

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 9
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/6/2003 5:35:39 PM   
Toasty

Well well, I bought the discs and guess what, they are made by Hitachi Maxell even though they are x48... not TY or Ritek. Doh! [V]
But thanks for the reassurance Delphinius_Rex! You say they are good... but look in the link I gave in my earlier post to another post in the forum, that guy thinks it's bad!

This is what MInfo shows:
Disc Type = CDR (B-)
Lead In = 97:25:29
Lead Out = 79:59:74
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f/LBA:359849)
Manufacturer = Hitachi Maxell, Ltd.

Can someone tell me what (B-) means? And what's the ATIP code, is that the Lead In?
Thanks!

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 10
RE: The ol' "which cd-r" question - 8/6/2003 6:36:18 PM   
rjw

These are really the last manufacturer I would have expected since Maxell was supposed to need all there production lines for DVD recordables.
These Maxell/Hitachi disc's can work fine on some other burners while ohters really hate them. It's like AZO some burners (mostly Lite On ) had any version of AZO but on others you can't screw them.

(in reply to Toasty)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> The ol' "which cd-r" question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI