CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD Burning - Problems   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 603 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> DVD Burning - Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD Burning - Problems - 5/4/2005 8:43:57 AM   
Drs_Res

Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope it's not to long or confusing.

I am new to doing video on the computer.
Let me tell you what the problem is and what I think MAY be the problem.

I have a Sony camera w/ firewire.

I have captured my video to hard drive.

I have edited and converted for DVD. Created menus ect..

Everything played fine in the preview window with the virtual remote control.

Tried to burn to DVD, burn starts, then hung up at the end.

This happened on Ulead movie Factory and Nero.

I got by the problem of the burn not finishing by using msconfig and selective start up.

Still having problem with the burns. My DVD player will not recognize the disc, it just ejects it. windows media player will play the video but not the audio of the DVD, same with real player. WinDVD4 plays it back fine as does Nero Show Time.

I tried to burn an MPEG to CD. Same problems with the same software. Plays okay in the ones that played the DVD fine, the others have no sound.

CD buring itself seems okay.

The only thing that I can think of is that I got a Maxtor One Touch External 250 GIG hard drive to possibly put the video on, and later to back up my system onto.

This came with the Dantz Retrospect HD1 software.

I could copy a DVD with the OEM version of nero in the past on this same media, same batch, and have it play in every DVD player that we tried it in.

I tried to copy the same DVD again as a test, and I have all of the problems listed above.

I bought the retail package of Nero 6 ultra edition and can't get a burn worth saving.
I have dierctX 9.oC and there are no problems with that.

Does anyone here think my problem is with the Maxtor/Retrospect/One Touch software?
Any ideas appreciated, this is so frusterating.
Post #: 1
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/4/2005 10:00:29 AM   
Iggy

Welcome!

What is the burner and what media have you tried?

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 2
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/4/2005 9:47:32 PM   
Drs_Res

Thanks for the welcome Iggy!

The media is TDK+R 4X 4.7gb.
Also tried Memorex DVD+R8x 4.7gb just to see what happens, same results.
Windows XP Home SP1, but major security updates have been installed.
I have not opened the computer to see what the DVD burner is,
it just comes up as: DVD+RW RW5125 in the control panel.

If this helps, when I installed the Maxtor software, it installed, I belive, Mircrosoft NET framework 1.1, and it created a new user that was not there before called: ASP.NET MACHINE A...

I did not think TOO much about those as I figured it might need these to get the hard drive to work with the computer. The hard drive works great.
This is about the only thing that I can think of that really changed between the DVD burner working properly and now.

The only other things I did was upgrade my Ram to 1.5 gig from 512 meg. that went perfect and the board can handel up to 3 gig. I have the correct memory and it was found right away by windows.

I had a minor problem with directx9.oa and I went to 9.oc, ran dxdiag and all was reported as well, fixed the .dll that was flagged.

If you have anyother questions I can answer, I'll do my best.

I'll pop the machine open later and see if I can find manufacturer make and model on the burner.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Drs_Res -- 5/4/2005 9:50:44 PM >

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 3
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/5/2005 1:35:45 AM   
Iggy

It is possible to be poor writing quality, I have seen it before.

Maybe a newer firmware for your drive helps. If not we'll come back.

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 4
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/5/2005 6:42:38 PM   
Drs_Res

I really don't think it's a writing quality issue since the burn would not complete untill I used the selective start up, but won't rule it out either. That and the fact that I was able to copy a home made DVD with no problems before.

I think I may roll back my machine to the retore point I created just before I installed the software for the Maxtor and see what happens. I think I'll have to re-install directx again if I do that since updated it after that point.

If that does not work I may go back to the point before I added the sony picture package software that came with the Camcorder, I forgot that was installed as well. I think that's all the software that got installed since the burner was working properly.

Shoot, I'll go through my restore points and see what else will need to replaced once I roll this thing back.

I will most likley try this on Monday.

If anyone can think of anything else before then, I am all ears.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 5
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/6/2005 2:32:37 AM   
emperor

how about trying the latest Nero Vision Express to remake the whole project?

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 6
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/6/2005 6:48:26 AM   
Drs_Res

I tried that after my initial problems. Recaptured and edited a smaller amount of video.

I still get the same results.

I had done a selective start up, disabled my anti virus, captured video, did the whole process in nero 6 ultra. tried to record direct to the DVD, and also tried saving the project to the hard drive and burning from there. Still no good. I get a complete burn, but the DVD player just ejects the disc, and just as above, Nero plays it back fine, WinDVD4 plays it back fine, Real Player and Windows Media Player play the video but I get no audio.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 7
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/9/2005 4:50:02 PM   
Drs_Res

Well, here is an update.
I tried restoring the system back, and left the exernal hard drive off the system. I do not need to use a selective start up to get a full burn now, but
the DVD player still will not recognize any disc I burn.

Yes, I tried some older burned discs, and they worked just like the day they were burned. GRRRRRR.

I went back even further and removed the software that the DV camcorder came with, still no go.

I pulled the drive, it's a Ricoh RW5125A, I did not find a firmware update on the Ricoh site. In case anyone wants to see the info from the drive, here is a picture:
It links to a larger version.

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 8
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/9/2005 7:52:44 PM   
Drs_Res

I just found this at open driver:

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/223223/ricoh-rw5125a-dvd+r-+rw-firmware-1.72-free-download.html

The site says:
quote:

This firmware is designed for use with the RICOH DVD+RW/+R model MP5125A drive.

Is the MP5125A the same as my RW5125A?
I don't want to flash this thing if that is going to cause problems, or screw the drive up, I've had enough greif.

I had to hand off one project to someone else because of this already. He captured off my camcorder and burned what he needed to with no problem, so I know there is no problem with the data on the tape.

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 9
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/10/2005 1:34:25 AM   
Iggy

There you'll find firmware's about your drive, RW-5125A:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=319

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 10
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/10/2005 6:25:08 AM   
Drs_Res

I think that is the same one, that site also says:
quote:

OEM version of the Ricoh MP-5125A

And the Ricoh site, when I was looking for information, had listed
both my drive RW5125A and the MP-5125A in a drop down menu, which is why I was curious if it was the same thing.

BTW, It says JustLink on the front of the drive as well.

I have an email in to Ricoh support asking about it, we will see if they answer.
I'm going to wait just a little while before I go and use that, as I am not convinced that it is really a firmware issue yet, but it's good to know where to find things when you need them. That and I'm pretty new to all of this stuff and get nervious when I start thinking about doing something like flashing firmware. That and the fact that it seems to be for making the drive region free, and I don't care if the drive is region free or not

If anyone needs more information about the machine I am using that might help get this fixed, ask and I will give it to you.

I deeply appreciate the responses Iggy and emperor.

Sorry for the length of my posts, but I am trying to make everthing as clear as possible. (and probably confusing everyone more in the process LOL)

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 11
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/10/2005 11:50:57 AM   
emperor

Drs Ricoh makes both MP5125 (their retail) and RW512 (their OEM) drives, so using any firmware that will work for RW5125 will work also for your drive

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 12
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/10/2005 8:48:36 PM   
Drs_Res

Thank emperor, that sets my mind at ease. I did not know that was the difference. You learn something new everyday.

I am thinking about doing a clean install of the OS as well, it's been over a year since I have done that, and seeing if things work, and then installing software one piece at a time to see it the problem pops up somewhere along the line.

Anyone think cleaning out the registry might help at all? And if so, what would be the best program to do it with? Anyone have experience with this one?

http://www.errornuker.com/info/01.php?hop=arcamaxads

Gee, I'm all over the place with this. *sigh* maybe I'll try a firmware upgrade first.

I am so much better at fixing and repairing mechanical things.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 13
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/11/2005 2:58:48 AM   
Drs_Res

Okay, one last stupid question before I go with the new firmware.

I got the driver from the ricohpmmc site. That is the European site. They don't have it at the American site. I am in America, will this make a difference/is it okay to to use this?

If I get an "it's okay", I'll try it and let you know what happens.

Ricoh still has not answered my email.

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 14
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/11/2005 6:47:55 AM   
SithTracy

It will be fine.  Go with the firmware.  I live in the US and download firmwares for my Plextor from Europe.  I used to use Ricoh CD-RW SCSI drives and downloaded firmware from Taiwan.

(in reply to Drs_Res)
Post #: 15
RE: DVD Burning - Problems - 5/11/2005 9:08:08 AM   
emperor

just use our firmware section to grab the firmware or alternative look over www.rpc1.org

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> DVD Burning - Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI