CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Symantec patches AntiVirus !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 834 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Symantec patches AntiVirus ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 8:19:13 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hole in the system...

Member of the BSA, Symantec has patched a security hole which it found in its anti-virus software.

The vulnerability exists in the Windows version of the Symantec Antivirus component which tests RAR files for viruses.

Symantec has said that the security consequences of the hole are small. All it does is cause the decomposer component to crash when a unique RAR file is received for decomposing and scanning.

However, technically malicious content placed inside such a configured RAR file to bypass the initial AV software scans. , This might work if the virus is picked up later by the RealTime Virus Scan / Auto-Protect function.

The vulnerability has been traced to a particular component build environment that was only used for a limited period, so it is uncertain how many versions of the software suffer from it.

You can read all about it on the Symantec website here.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 11:29:22 AM   
SithTracy

It amazes me that Symantec still seems to be the most popular virus scanner on the market. They have compatition and there are some great products... Unfortunatly they are not from Symantec or McAfee....

I am currently using the Personal Pro product from Kaspersky Lab. It is a great and likely thes best I have used... Trend Micro's isn't bad either... but Symantec, their time is done. They are just floating on the Norton name.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 2:23:10 PM   
MP3Mogul

Naw,

I tend to disagree with that. I use Norton, and have tried the others, and always came back to norton. EVERYTHING is vulnerable, hackers make it their mission to exploit things like this. It's still the greatest AV software ever.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 6:25:16 PM   
SiliconFreak

Calm down guys...its my turn now...

So....I use MCAFEE Internet security suite (with AntiVirus,Firewall,Personal Privacy and Spam Killer - cause I rather have complete package from one manufacturer than i.e. VirusScan from Norton, Firewall from McAfee, AntiSpam from Kaspersky Labs,...) and so far everything works NICEEEEEEEEEE....updates are coming out almost on a daily basis...so the protection is really up-to-date (although -as MP3Mogul said- nothing is 100% not at MCAFEE not at any other AV software makers!). Norton is also good choice (had it before MCAFEE and also worked very good!), and I heard that Kaspersky Labs is also ok (havent tried it yet, but some of my friends use it and said its working ok). Like SithTracy said...there are also many others great AV scanners on the market...so I guess its up to each individual to decide which one to use.

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 4/29/2005 6:26:48 PM >

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 4
RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 6:55:38 PM   
MP3Mogul

And users's of Norton should not even concern themselves at all.... as if you run LIVEUPDATE it will automatically patch the problem in the first place... as Norton "ALWAYS" makes the patch and then tells you what happened....

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 5
RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! - 4/29/2005 7:13:55 PM   
SiliconFreak

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Symantec patches AntiVirus ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI