CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft And Intel Chart A Course For 64-Bit Computing !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 637 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft And Intel Chart A Course For 64-Bit Computing ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft And Intel Chart A Course For 64-Bit Computing ! - 4/11/2005 6:25:00 PM   
WinThusiast

Even though Intel was slow to embrace the x86-64 standard, it has had it's Itanium server processor for quite some time now. Intel and Microsoft are now partnering up to to enlighten the world on the benefits of 64-bit technology:

According to Microsoft and Intel estimates, 2005 will be the year when, for the first time, the vast majority of new server hardware and high-end workstation shipments will be 64-bit capable. Three factors are contributing to this shift. First, Intel's entire line-up of server platforms will have 64-bit capabilities. Second, the Windows platform will support two different 64-bit architectures: Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing (EPIC), supported by Intel's Itanium processor family, and 64-bit extensions to the x86 instruction set, supported by Intel's 64-bit Xeon and Pentium processors. Third, organizations are increasingly viewing these platforms as a cost-effective alternative to the higher-priced, proprietary 64-bit architecture of RISC-based UNIX servers.

Source : Microsoft Press Pass
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft And Intel Chart A Course For 64-Bit Computing ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI