CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Video iPod Likely By 2006 !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1308 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! - 4/11/2005 6:15:47 PM   
SiliconFreak

Apple warming up for movie download service, according to analysts

A multimedia version of the iPod with a video iTunes store could be available by next year, according to two financial analysts with UBS Investment Research.

The analysts maintain that Apple is monitoring how consumers receive the video playing features in Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP). If consumers accept the PSP as a video playing device, it would validate the market for a multimedia version of the iPod.

"We would not be surprised if Apple eventually launched some form of multimedia iPod," Ben Reitzes and Jeff Brickman from UBS wrote in a research note.

Past comments from Apple chief executive Steve Jobs suggest that the introduction of a movie playing iPod is not part of the company's plans. But Apple is well known for its tendency not to reveal any details about upcoming products until the actual launch.

Sony's PSP features a high-resolution colour display and is capable of playing movies using the company's proprietary Universal Media Disc. The device is currently on sale in Japan and the US and the European launch is expected later this year.

A multimedia iPod would cost less than $500, the analysts speculated, and would feature a colour display similar to Sony's. It is likely to offer at least four hours of battery life and 60GB of storage.

The launch would not be expected before 2006, according to the analysts, "but [we] would not be surprised to hear more about this topic into the holidays".

A multimedia iPod would be followed by an iTunes for movies and video by the end of 2006, the report stated.

Such a move is not just a natural progression for the iTunes store. With the number of illegal movie downloads rising, the film industry is ready for a download service.

And because Jobs also heads up the Pixar animation studio, Apple has a good chance to venture into the video download market.

Source : VnuNet
Post #: 1
RE: Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! - 4/20/2005 5:35:12 PM   
menuserve

i do believe that apple better get going with this soon if they want to retain their market share. everyone else is working on this type of service now.

RESTAURANT TAKEOUT & DELIVERY MENUS : 2700+ Menus Online

THE IPODT SHIRT FOR THE IPOD SHUFFLE : Wear it and Groove to it!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! - 4/20/2005 9:43:08 PM   
SiliconFreak

We'll see where future will bring us all... Even Apple(s) dont last forever...

(in reply to menuserve)
Post #: 3
RE: Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! - 6/6/2006 6:07:11 AM   
Big Witty

I've read some stuff about how the increase of legit video/movie trading will effect the internet. Although P2P takes up a huge amount of the net apparantly, a popularity increase of this service for the internet would benefit the world at large, but it's gonna create huge amounts of traffic. Hmm, that's probably what upgrades are for  a fair few things still need to be worked out though, such as who holds the movies and in what formats ect.

I guess we'll find out sometime in the not-so-distant future.

-Witty
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Video iPod Likely By 2006 ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI