CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Web Postcards Hide Trojan Horse Programs !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 732 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Web Postcards Hide Trojan Horse Programs ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web Postcards Hide Trojan Horse Programs ! - 4/5/2005 9:01:11 PM   
SiliconFreak

SANS Institute warns of attacks that trick users into installing Trojan remote access programs

Beware of Web postcards bearing greetings. That's the advice from The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center (ISC), which is warning about e-mail messages that pose as Web postcards, then direct recipients to a Web site that installs a Trojan horse program

The new attacks use sophisticated social engineering techniques to trick users into installing Trojan remote access programs that can fool antivirus and firewall software by appearing to be authorized applications like IRC (Internet Relay Chat) software, ISC said.

ISC has received an increasing number of reports of the postcard scams in recent days. Victims receive e-mail messages with subject lines such as "You have received a virtual postcard from a family member," with a link to a pickup site that installs the Trojan, according to a post on the ISC Web site Sunday.

Another recent scam posed as a message from Blue Mountain Greeting Cards, a service operated by American Greetings of Cleveland, Ohio. The messages use a spoofed sender address and appear to come from bluemountain.com. A link in each e-mail claims to go to Blue Mountain's card pickup Web page, where recipients are asked to enter a unique card ID number provided in the e-mail. However, victims who click on the link pass first through one of a number of sites that may have installed malicious software, ISC said.

Those Web sites were not available Tuesday. A customer service representative from Blue Mountain said in an e-mail message that the company has recently received reports of false e-mails purporting to come from the company and that the company's abuse team is investigating.
Full story...

Source : InfoWorld
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Web Postcards Hide Trojan Horse Programs ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI