CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Is slower not always better?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1253 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Is slower not always better? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is slower not always better? - 6/28/2003 11:30:59 PM   
Dimitris

Hi MP3 Mogul,

I read in article
http://www.cdr-info.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10177

the statement "slower is not always better" (see below).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slower is not always better. You could try the audio master format since you have the CRW-F1 drive, it produces superb results.

If I'm not using Audio Master mode on my CRWF-1, I usually write at 16X, I have found this to be a great quality speed for the drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP3 Mogul, can you expand on this?

I have got an older LTR 32123S LiteOn drive (with the latest firmware "XSOZ"), and I usually use 80min Taiyo Yuden CDR's for audio recording. The speed I always use is 4X (since I don't do a lot of recording, and therefore, time is not an issue for me - I am only interested in achieving maximum quality with the drive I have).

I always had the impression that the lower the speed, the better the final quality. Is it not really the case?
Post #: 1
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 12:09:12 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hi Dimitris

Check out some of my reviews on my webpage (www.digitaldolphin.netfirms.com) in most cases, (you will see by the error-graphs) the media performs better when burned at 12x or 16x. Since you have a LiteON drive, you too can run tests on your media to check the quality of your burns. If you want only simple results you can use Nero's CD Speed, which was used in my initial reviews, or if you want a more detailed report on your media you can download CD Doctor, or K-Probe and use them. I suggest burning one piece of media at 4x and one at 16x (the same media, and preferably the same data too) and testing the results for yourself.

You can download CD Doctor here: ftp://64.124.173.56/doctor_104-en.exe

unfortunatly the site that was hosting K-Probe is now down, so if you would like a copy of it you will have to e-mail me and I can send you one

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 2
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 1:34:04 AM   
Dimitris

Thanks,

actually I downloaded both KProbe and CD Doctor recently. So, I will have to experiment with different speeds to see if there are significant differences between 16X, 8X, and 4X.

I did some testing on the various CD's I have recorded thus far, though, and I noticed a concentrated peak of C1 errors in area of 48 or 50 minutes in many of my (Tayio Yuden) CD's. Even though I recorded them mostly on 4X.

I was wondering why this occurs and if there is anything I can do to avoid it. I don't think I should downgrade the firmware (I wouldn't know how to do it, anyhow - LiteOn firmwares are not downgradable), since it may worsen the all-round behaviour of the drive.

Any suggestions?

Dimitris

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 3:12:49 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, a concentrated spike you say? How old is the media? and what brand is it? or is it just generic T.Y. ???

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 4:39:13 AM   
MP3Mogul

I agree that 16X seems to be a great write speed for the CRW-F1, that's what I use by default also. Also remember, Audio Master is to make a disc more compatible for "cheap" players. It only increases the lands and pits, and also decreases the amount of audio you can put on a disc.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 1:52:33 PM   
Dimitris

quote:
Hrm, a concentrated spike you say? How old is the media? and what brand is it? or is it just generic T.Y. ???

My media are generic, unbranded, 80min Taiyo Yuden CDR's.

Dimitris

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 2:00:35 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

hrm, so no real way of knowing how old it is, or how fast they are certified really (since I don't trust retailers to not "re-certify" their un-branded media!). So, it could just be getting a little old, or it might be optomised for different speeds, or it might just be a somewhat faulty batch [?]

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/29/2003 4:59:07 PM   
Dimitris

I run LiteOn's SMART BURN Media Check program to get some more info about my CD's. The results are below:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 01f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Taiyoyuden DX-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

Accordingly, the Speed Limit of my media is 32X. What does this say about the concentrated spike I am getting? I was actually thinking about the firmware...

Something I need to add is that, in all the CD's I get the concentrated spike, the Total of C1 Errors is usually 1600 - 1900, and the Average of C1 Errors is between 0.6 - 0.8.

Are these values not too bad?

Dimitris

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/30/2003 12:40:09 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Ok, that media is probably either 24x or 32x "certified" Smartburn on a faster drive will report them as being able to handle up to 40x speeds, but this is not overly good on the media

as for the quality of your burns, it sounds fine! though it reminds me of how Yamaha 20x CD-Rs (Taiyo Yuden) performed for me at 32x! see for yourself: http://digitaldolphin.netfirms.com/Yamaha20xCD-R/Yamaha20xCDReviewPage3.htm (look at the disc burned at 32x tested at high speed).

averages of less then 2 C1 errors and 0 C2 errors are good, even by REALLY picky standards

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/30/2003 5:30:58 AM   
Dimitris

Thanks Dolphinius.

This has helped clarifying things for me.

Dimitris

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 10
RE: Is slower not always better? - 6/30/2003 5:57:29 PM   
rjw

Hmm most 24x/32x rated TY's don't like 40x and faster however the EMTEC ones do. It is that I'm running low on these or else I would have teste some with smar-burn off at 48x or 52x. Since I think they might actually survive it.
Why did Emtec choose to longer use TY as suplier for there CERAM GUADS.[?]Since the Moser Baer disc's are quite good (really good for moser baer but do not come near the TY ones.)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Is slower not always better? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI