CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Linux Getting Comfy In Consumers' World, From Cars To TV Sets !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 794 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux Getting Comfy In Consumers' World, From Cars To TV Sets ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linux Getting Comfy In Consumers' World, From Cars To T... - 3/24/2005 10:16:41 AM   
LinuxMarshall

If you're wondering what kind of person uses Linux, take a look in the mirror.

The traits that made the open-source software a favorite of hard-core techies is bringing it to all sorts of gadgets used by regular folks.

Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Motorola, Volvo and other big manufacturers are using Linux for everything from TV sets to mobile phones to autos.

"Linux has the potential to become the dominant platform," said Trolltech Chief Executive Haarvard Nord. "The technology is ready."

Nord's Palo Alto, Calif., company sells Qtopia. The platform makes it easier to build Linux-based gadgets.

More than 50 companies are already using Qtopia in their devices, including 20 mobile phones. Other Linux firms such as MontaVista Software and Wind River Systems report similar gains.

Linux is no newcomer to consumer technology. TiVo's line of digital video recorders has used it from day one. So have set-top cable boxes from Motorola and Panasonic. Same for Sony's PlayStation 2.

Now Linux is showing up in lots of other devices: TVs, remote controls, home theater systems and cars.

"It's a great opportunity," said Wind River CEO Ken Klein, whose company sells tools for putting Linux software on all kinds of hardware.

For years, designers preferred to write their own software for devices. "Now that's moving to Linux," he said.
Read more...

Source : Yahoo News
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux Getting Comfy In Consumers' World, From Cars To TV Sets ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI