CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

SLI Review !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 716 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> SLI Review ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SLI Review ! - 3/15/2005 9:53:32 PM   
SiliconFreak

So. Winchester-core A64s good, SLI 6600s bad, SLI 6800s a better idea, but you'd better bring a fat wallet and be prepared for occasional computer misbehaviour.

It's entirely possible - likely, even - that driver and BIOS updates will make dual-6800 SLI systems a much better proposition a few months from now. They'll certainly be cheaper.

If I were building a firebreathing system right now, and didn't want any aggravation, I'd get an SLI-capable motherboard like the A8N-SLI Deluxe, and a Winchester A64, and one 6800 GT, with another one on the shopping list for, say, six months from now. If SLI turns out to never stop being a pain, you won't lose anything that way; just spend the second-card budget on something else.

The only way this idea can backfire is if SLI gets all of its bugs worked out, but the 6800 you choose isn't available any more when you want to buy another one. At the moment, cards for SLI have to be matched perfectly, and it'll take both driver and motherboard BIOS updates which may or may not ever happen to make non-identical cards with the same chip play together.

But heck, there's always eBay. Someone somewhere'll probably have a card to match yours.

Right now, SLI's still a bit too lunatic-fringe for me. But I am not sad, because it always cheers me up when there are great new overclockable CPUs on the shelves, and the Winchester A64s certainly are that.

READ FULL REVIEW HERE...

Source : DansData.com

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: SLI Review ! - 3/15/2005 10:29:13 PM   
SithTracy

Well, I'm not ready to make the plunge to SLI, but my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board is running great right now with a single 6600 PCIe board and has replaced my still favorite, A7N8X Deluxe rev2 as my primary system.

Anyone interested should review the thread at the Hardware Analysis forum. People have had their share of licks with this board and the power requirements it needs. But with the help of those on that forum you should be good to go once all the SLI quirks are resolved.

It is a fine system and Asus is working hard to make it better. Those looking for perfection may want to hold out for the forthcoming A8N-SLI Premium.

In time I expect the A8N-SLI become my favorite system and I will let the A7N8X go on to my System Hall Of Fame (my wife and kids will get sole use of it!!!)

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: SLI Review ! - 3/16/2005 10:14:00 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hi SithTracy!

I checked the link...and must say I found your board to really be a VERY SEXY PERFORMER! No really...I knew that from before...that its a GREAT board in almost all aspects! But since I am somehow still P4 fan (at least until next upgrade)...the only thing to do in this moment is...to add it to my WISH LIST...which I will do for sure...

I am still hoping that someone will sooner or later come out with something even better than SLI...maybe Double SLI...hahahahahaha....with 4 graphic boards(with maybe 2VPUs on each board ).......(hope not, because if that would happen...then we will soon need an extra Case just for graphics...). But really...it would be nice to see even faster PCI-E...maybe X32?...and that both cards in SLI mode would operate at that (X32) mode......but then again...we would need much faster RAM (DDR8 )...and everything else I guess...so neverending story would (and will for sure - without any doubt), continue....

Like I said...this mobo of yours goes to my wish list...and from there on...I'll just have to wait and see how everything develops until upgrade time comes by...

Have a nice day/night andddd ENJOYYYYYYYYYYY every second of life!

*SiliconFreak OUT*

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: SLI Review ! - 3/16/2005 10:30:30 AM   
SithTracy

Well, nVidia has an SLI chipset coming for Intel... I think Epox will be the first with Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte to follow. Because Intel allowed nVidia to make a chipset for them, I think SLI is a little more than a fad and will eventually have more than a gamers following -- I imaging CAD type rendering could see improvements using an SLI type solution and with Intel, AMD, and nVidia's backing it will only get better. The technology is fresh and new and has more potential in the years to come. Right now, it's the new toy in my toy box.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: SLI Review ! - 3/16/2005 11:14:25 AM   
SiliconFreak

Totally agree with everything You said...no comment...

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> SLI Review ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI