CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 873 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP ! - 3/5/2005 8:51:49 PM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft may not be willing to talk file-system futures, but it is working to back-port its future file-system technology to Windows XP.

Microsoft is back-porting its WinFS file-system technology to Windows XP, the same way that it is doing with its Windows presentation and communications subsystems, according to company officials.

The acknowledgement is significant, given that Microsoft has been reticent to offer any details on WinFS since the company decided in August to cut the WinFS information storage and retrieval feature from both the client and server versions of Longhorn.

Longhorn client is set to ship in 2006; Longhorn server in 2007, according to Microsoft.

Company officials have declined repeatedly to project when or how Microsoft would deliver WinFS to developers and customers. Microsoft's silence had lead some industry watchers to speculate that WinFS would be relegated to the fate of "Cairo," the object file system that Microsoft touted throughout the 1990s but never managed to deliver.

A year ago, WinFS was slated to be one of the four main pillars of Longhorn. The other three, which are still set to be part of the next-gen Windows release, are the "Avalon" presentation subsystem; the "Indigo" communications subsystem; and the "Fundamentals" technologies that will improve Windows performance, security and reliability.

Microsoft decided to back-port both Avalon and Indigo to older versions of Windows — Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 — in order to maintain backward compatibility and help seed the application-development market, officials said. But it made no such promises for WinFS, which resulted in many developer, customer and industry-watcher questions about WinFS' fate.

WinFS isn't dead, Tom Rizzo, Microsoft's director of product management for SQL Server, recently told Microsoft Watch. In fact, Microsoft is planning to provide an update on the technology at this year's Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in September, he said.

Rizzo said that Microsoft is busily back-porting the WinFS file-system technology to Windows XP.

It's unclear if Microsoft also is porting WinFS to Windows Server 2003, but such a move would be likely, given that the Redmond software vendor is doing so with Avalon and Indigo.

The end result? Nearly all of the "original" Longhorn technologies are going to be made available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. There will still be some technologies unique to Longhorn, namely, the "Fundamentals." But will that be enough to convince users to upgrade?
Read more...

Source : Microsoft-Watch
Post #: 1
RE: WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP ! - 5/2/2006 3:56:42 PM   
triangle

greetings,

I've got really interested in WinFS filesystem so I've searched over to find some info on this structure. I came upon http://www.ntfs.com/ which happened to be a great source for info on this subject. If you wish you can also give it a glance.

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP ! - 5/4/2006 4:27:05 AM   
WinThusiast

Thanks. It seems like really great site for all kinds of informations about NTFS!

(in reply to triangle)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> WinFS To Be Available On Windows XP ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI