CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 663 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 8:17:12 AM   
SiliconFreak

Look out, Microsoft.

That's the message this week from the Mozilla Foundation, whose web browser Firefox has surpassed 25 million downloads in 100 days.

Mozilla, which released the free 1.0 program in November, says an average of 25,000 people download Firefox every day and more than half a million websites feature Firefox promotions. The group promotes the program as an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which has become a target for computer virus writers and other security exploits.

Lead Firefox architect Blake Ross wrote on a blog: "What was just a small flame 100 days ago has since exploded into a phenomenal demonstration of the power of open source. Tens of thousands of devoted users and fans are a powerful and capable force of change."

Mozilla developed the program using donations and an army of volunteer programmers, many of whom are presumably bent on challenging the dominance of IE. People downloaded more than eight million copies of the test version of Firefox before the November launch.

Microsoft has been defensive about Internet Explorer, denying that it's more vulnerable to bugs than other browser programs. Yet the company made a surprise move this week, unveiling plans to release a new version of IE independently of an upcoming release of Windows so that it can more quickly fix security problems.

The growing popularity of Firefox may have spurred the move, some industry observers said. Recent surveys show that Microsoft's market share in web browsers, while still huge, is slipping.

Mozilla, an open source software foundation formed by Netscape, was spun off from Time Warner in 2003.

Source : Silicon.com
Post #: 1
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 10:56:10 AM   
semo

huh.. we have net-stupid-scape to thank for firefox. heard that m$ is paying netscape $1m every week. anyone else heard that?

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 8:24:05 PM   
SiliconFreak

nope...havent heard that...but since 1st of April is almost here...everything is possible..

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 9:59:23 PM   
maximas74

I use Firefox for almost all of my browsing except on some sight that I have to use IE on.Im not boasting on Firefox but in my opinion its faster and more reliable than IE.But IE is better now with SP2 than it used to be.The pop up blocker works pretty good with SP2 but to me it still doesn't match Firefox security wise.Oh well I will use which ever is the best at the time so if IE comes out with a better browser I will use it more.

Post #: 4
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 11:09:07 PM   
T3TRISizer

just cant wait for IE7.0...

(in reply to maximas74)
Post #: 5
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/18/2005 11:13:54 PM   
SiliconFreak

I agree with maximas74...I will also use which ever will be better in the future...but since I still somehow prefer IE&SP2 combination for now...soooooo...I also hope that IE 7 wont make me to change my mind and switch to some Non-IE browser...

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 6
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/19/2005 5:04:09 AM   
semo

this is what i was talking about (knda)

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5828

quote:

Microsoft will pay AOL-Time Warner $750 million to settle the private antitrust lawsuit involving AOL's Netscape browser, the companies said Thursday afternoon.

that business of "anticompetitive practices"

Post #: 7
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/19/2005 7:31:49 AM   
SiliconFreak

Interesting article...rather old but anyway...

So this could be true afterall...but dont worry...whats $750Million out of $40Billion WAR chest...nothing...like a drop of water taken out of the ocean...

M$ will prevail...or it already has?

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 8
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/19/2005 12:13:24 PM   
semo

and the last time i heard it was $60 billion (the article like you said is old, 2002 i fink). and m$ will have some money hidden also and all other big complicated business stuff cuz after all, m$ is an excellent business company (notice i say business, no mention of software or hardware, they're crap at both)

Post #: 9
RE: Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! - 2/19/2005 5:54:16 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha...no comment...You got it 100% right...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Firefox: Over 25 Million Browsers Served ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI